bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
hi we had hundreds of calls to day from pubs and clubs. it seems like all the pubs using the viasat sports systems stopped working at 3pm. landlords reported that they had blank screens with a subscription error. or the box was working but the premier league hd channel was showing a match from last week and not the man city norwich game. all the pl extra channels stoped working as well at 3pm . this problem only happend at 3pm as the morning game and the 5.30 game with man u worked fine. we tried using a different satellite receiver and found that all viasat pl extra channels worked fine and the premier league channel worked as well. so the problem only effected the pace viasat boxes which is more or less every pub in the uk. i tried a factory reset on one of our viasat receivers and found the premier league channel on a viasat 3d channel. if any one knows what may have happened today it would be much appreciated regards moosegoose. ps sorry for putting this in the viasat law section but i have a sneaky feeling it may be related.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Viasat will have a reasonable idea of which cards are in use in the UK - anything despatched to particular dealers.. All they have to do is disable those cards for the 3pm match

BTW the Newcastle - Chelsea match was transmitted fta on 16E today!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Viasat cards I know of round here were OK at 3pm

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
i hope u are not right mate but it do seem a bit odd that nearly all the pubs in the uk lost the ability to show a 3pm ko. and then as if by magic it returned for the 5.30 ko. i have been told it was a regional variation and it may not of effected boxes from denmark. but i can not confirm this is true as yet. ljs live sport have put a note on there site that the pl hd channel did not broadcast the man city v norwich match, but i can confirm it was broadcast as i got it on a different receiver. and they did not mention that the pl extra channels were missing, which i can confirm were broadcast. but not receivable using a viasat box. im not sure if this problem was limited to boxes used in the uk or it may have been across the board. we use Latvian boxes and i can confirm the all stooped at 3pm.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
People on LJ's had issues too. Denmark was not affected, but they use TV2 IIRC. Apparantly there was a similar issue on the PL channel on 1W

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
are yes that would explain why i got it on my dream box, as that is the feed i pick up. but i did do a factory reset on a gen viasat box and i found the pl hd channel under viasat 3d. i know the pl are putting pressure on viasat in regards to the 3pms. this may be the start of something who knows.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Looks like the Lithuanian & Latvian cards have been knocked out the last couple of weeks for the 3pms.

Thast says to me the FAPL are involved - and your landlords can look forward to many more black screens at 3pm!

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
yup, went off here too today (lith)

all pl channels showing blocked and hd showing replay.

not good.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
yes it would make sense for the pl to target Latvian and lith boxes as these are used as the exchange rates are good compared to the likes of Sweden and Norway. pardon my English but the sh1t will hit the fan if this pans out to be true. i would be interested to know if denmark, norway and sweden boxes worked at 3pm. regards moosegoose.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
moosegoose said:
pardon my English but the sh1t will hit the fan if this pans out to be true.

Who for? The landlords dont have a leg to stand on - are breaking the T&C's of the cards by using residential subs cards in public places.

Its obvious with the shenanigans going on with Tring over the last few weeks that FAPL are going after the providers selling cheapish 3pm cards to the UK again.

leehill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Italia
My Location
wigan
"Who for? The landlords dont have a leg to stand on - are breaking the T&C's of the cards by using residential subs cards in public places"

Have you been following the high court and EU ruling? what has Ts and Cs got to do with anything, just because as company puts a clause in its t&c's does not make them legally binding, they have to be enforceable by law and the EU has ruled that the broadcast is not covered by copyright protection....so if the FAPL are found out to be interfering with a signal that people have paid money for in good faigh then yes the sh!t will hit the fan and rightly so.

Also, the UK High Court ruling on the EU decision is due to be heard on the 16th of Dec.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
leehill - you are being selective in your argument

Content may not be copyrighted but certain aspects of the broadcast are certainly protected - the graphics are covered by copyright though so under the very same legal interpretation all the pubs could be done for copyright infringement on FAPL graphics.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
"Its obvious with the shenanigans going on with Tring over the last few weeks that FAPL are going after the providers selling cheapish 3pm cards to the UK again." - Analoguesat

Compared to Sky's commercial sub rates, truly extortionate, anything else is cheap, so it looks as if the FAPL/Sky will have to tackle (pardon the pun) all the foreign providers reachable from the UK/Ireland.
Greed kills!

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
moosegoose said:
hi we had hundreds of calls to day from pubs and clubs. it seems like all the pubs using the viasat sports systems stopped working at 3pm. landlords reported that they had blank screens with a subscription error. or the box was working but the premier league hd channel was showing a match from last week and not the man city norwich game. all the pl extra channels stoped working as well at 3pm . this problem only happend at 3pm as the morning game and the 5.30 game with man u worked fine. we tried using a different satellite receiver and found that all viasat pl extra channels worked fine and the premier league channel worked as well. so the problem only effected the pace viasat boxes which is more or less every pub in the uk. i tried a factory reset on one of our viasat receivers and found the premier league channel on a viasat 3d channel. if any one knows what may have happened today it would be much appreciated regards moosegoose. ps sorry for putting this in the viasat law section but i have a sneaky feeling it may be related.

what box was it you tried the card in bud, if it does work and its just particular to the pace receivers then a cheap little box with the correct cam in it might be a good idea. would need a hdmi output though.

leehill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Italia
My Location
wigan
Analoguesat said:
leehill - you are being selective in your argument

Content may not be copyrighted but certain aspects of the broadcast are certainly protected - the graphics are covered by copyright though so under the very same legal interpretation all the pubs could be done for copyright infringement on FAPL graphics.

again, have you been following the ruling??? the decision regarding copyright protection for graphics has not been made yet, at the the EU court ruling the judge clearly stated that the use of logos was "incidental" and he would not allow a "ransom strip" to be applied to broadcasts so as to restrict free movement of goods.

so not sure what legal ruling you are referring too. My company is one the companies being taken to court by the FAPL.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Without the 3pm games, the Viasat package is still far better value for money than Sky's rip off commercial subs.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
leehill said:
"Who for? The landlords dont have a leg to stand on - are breaking the T&C's of the cards by using residential subs cards in public places"

Have you been following the high court and EU ruling? what has Ts and Cs got to do with anything, just because as company puts a clause in its t&c's does not make them legally binding, they have to be enforceable by law and the EU has ruled that the broadcast is not covered by copyright protection....so if the FAPL are found out to be interfering with a signal that people have paid money for in good faigh then yes the sh!t will hit the fan and rightly so.

Also, the UK High Court ruling on the EU decision is due to be heard on the 16th of Dec.

Have you actually read the ruling which merely clarified the existing position that it is not illegal to sell subscriptions cross border within the EU however it does not and cannot force broadcasters to do so. The terms and conditions within the contract you enter into when purchasing such a subscription are not illegal and thus are legally enforceable under civil law. You are breaking those terms and conditions in at least two ways - firstly using them outside the territory to which the broadcaster is selling them and secondly by using private subscriptions in commercial premises. You are also breaking copyright law, which although it does not apply to live action does apply to copyright full screen logos, action replays and any music used in the broadcast, by showing that to the general public.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
pardon me for not getting to tied up in the legal side but i have some more info. the premier league hd channel is up and running now so it was just for the 3pms on saturday. as far as i know this is the first instance where 3pms have been cut to nearly all users. i spoke to a pub who had a swedish system and that failed as well at 3pm. so it seems it is not related too just the latvian and lith boxes. all pubs that i have talked to today say that the pl extra channels now show a padlock image. as these are only used on saturdays at three this would add wieght to premier league involvement.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
my pub landlord tells me that the old man city match was supposed to be on.

The man city v norwitch match was three channels up.Channel 20.commentery was swedish.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
pontiend said:
my pub landlord tells me that the old man city match was supposed to be on.

The man city v norwitch match was three channels up.Channel 20.commentery was swedish.
the norwich man city mactch was meant to be on channel 19 pl hd channel. i know customers which had swedish boxes and all lost pl hd and viasat extra channels at 3pm. the fact that it was on channel 20 was more luck than anything. you may find that a game will be screened on local channels as well as the pl hd channel. and this was the case on saturday.