'Allo 'Allo Actor Dies

N

net1

Richard Marner, who played German officer Colonel Von Strohm in the BBC series 'Allo 'Allo, has died at the age of 82, his agent Lynda Ronan said last night.

Marner also appeared in several films including The African Queen, with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn, and the James Bond film You Only Live Twice.

Marner, whose real name was Alexander Molchanoff-Sacha, was born in Russia but came to the UK as a child.

He died in Scotland and leaves a wife, Pauline, a daughter and a grandchild.

Lynda Ronan, who said Marner had appeared in every episode of 'Allo 'Allo, said: "His credits speak for themselves.

"He was one of the most charming, witty, humorous people you could hope to meet.

"He spoke four languages and could make a brilliant joke in all of them."

Lord Byron

Reaction score
That's sad news, but to be honest, I never found that show funny.

It always seemed to me to be a cheap copy of Dad's Army, just like Emmerdale is a cheapo version of EastEnders and Corrie.

LB.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Strangely enough I didn't like it when it first showed, but got to appreciate it years later, don't know why, just tickled my sense of humour the way it deliberately went so far over the top.

Lord Byron

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Strangely enough I didn't like it when it first showed, but got to appreciate it years later, don't know why, just tickled my sense of humour the way it deliberately went so far over the top.

I think my disinterest in the show stems from the fact that the SS were made out to be funny people, whereas in Dad's Army the WW2 German army was seen as the joke in a derogatory sense.

Our British lads, led by Mainwaring, Wilson and Co, were funny but we admired them. :)

LB. :D

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
allo allo is absolutely hilarious i think.it gets dafter every week.some of the jokes are really corny yet very effective.i guess to really appreciate the brilliance of the programme you need to have that "daft" type of sense of humor.Its almost like a nightmare job that no matter what you do everything still goes wrong...a lot like hard work!!

TWAG

dads army is in a totally different league.......classic!!!!

BE-COOL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MaxPlus HTS 2100S+
DM500S
SkyStar2 :)
/
Triax TDS 88
/
LNB REX 0,1 dB
/
Moteck SG-2100A
My Location
Portugal
In Portugal Allo Allo series where a sucess, everybody with brains loves it.
I got the DVD collection and never get tired by watching them.