Anchor bolt or coach bolt

Red alert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Inverto ultra 0.2db, Edision Mio 4K, 1m Gibertini XP on Superior Dark Motor.
R.I.P -> Technomate M3 and Stab HH100.
My Location
Manchester
Hi all,

I am planning to install satellite tripod mount onto concrete and am confused what bolts to use. The tripod has 1m pole and has three 450mm legs that need bolting. The concrete is about 10cm deep. Do I need to use Coach bolts or the ones that expand (anchor bolts). any advice appreciated.

Regards

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Anchor bolts are better choice IMHO.

Red alert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Anchor bolts are better choice IMHO.
Thanks for the reply. Is there a minimum depth of concrete that has to be laid to make the pole mount more stronger and stable? Would a pole mount be stable even if 5cm of concrete was laid?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
It all depends what you wish to install... for 1.2m dish could be one for 1.8m antenna another strength is needed.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Thanks for the reply. Is there a minimum depth of concrete that has to be laid to make the pole mount more stronger and stable? Would a pole mount be stable even if 5cm of concrete was laid?

I mounted my Triax 1.1m dish's support using coach bolts into a standard concrete paving slab.

Been like that for years without any loosening or damage.

Only problem I had was the whole lot fell over in a storm! Resolved that by adding a couple of bags of sand.

For a permanent base such as you suggest, I'd have thought 5cm of concrete would suffice for a dish up to 1.2m, but double the depth for anything bigger. Dishes make lovely sails ...........

Red alert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
I mounted my Triax 1.1m dish's support using coach bolts into a standard concrete paving slab.

Been like that for years without any loosening or damage.

Only problem I had was the whole lot fell over in a storm! Resolved that by adding a couple of bags of sand.

For a permanent base such as you suggest, I'd have thought 5cm of concrete would suffice for a dish up to 1.2m, but double the depth for anything bigger. Dishes make lovely sails ...........
Yes I am thinking of putting down sand bags to give it more weight. I also plan to fill the area with decorative stones so hopefully no movement at all. If the concrete has uneven areas can I buy 10cm Anchor bolts to install on areas which are 10cm or 5cm? luckily the tripod has adjustable legs to make it plum.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Fischer M10 through Bolts would suit for this install. They are indeed very strong.