Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive picked up a BSB minidish - a dish not a squarial - still boxed! :D from fleabay for a fiver. Anyone know what the lnb lo frequency is as I have to try it! (Its the type with the lnb shaped like a spike if that helps)

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Can't help you with your enquiry Analoguesat but FWIW I had that in my Items Watched thingy on eBay and I blinking forgot to watch it near it's conclusion!!! I keep doing that, it's saving me a fortune! I guess I should really put less items in the list!

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I'll put some pics up later. :) Its a most peculiar shape - like a square with the "corners" rounded off.

And no its not a ruddy squarial! :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
Ive picked up a BSB minidish - a dish not a squarial - still boxed! :D from fleabay for a fiver. Anyone know what the lnb lo frequency is as I have to try it! (Its the type with the lnb shaped like a spike if that helps)

I think you need to be careful there AS if it has an lnb attached. Do not try and use it as my understanding was way back then that they were current switching not voltage switching but I may be confused (it really isn't difficult for me to get confused)

Indeed come to think of it I may still have one in the garage

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The lnb was still ensconsed in the polystyrene packing :-)

Its probably got a horrible noise level, but might connect it up to one of the just about wrecked old analogue receivers at the weekend and see if anything blows before I put it on the Pace!

I can always try a modern lnb at the focal point as a fall back

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It works - just about :D

Got a weak signal off one of the 5W analogue channels, after a bit of tinkering. Had to set the lnb frequency to 10600, and detune the receiver as the BSB LNB lo frequency is 10770MHz. This of course puts the tuning way out, but I got a definite confirmation of Canal+ before the encroaching cold drove me back inside.

More tinkering when the weather warms up a bit!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Heres the proof, you can just about make out a scrambled Canal+ signal.

I reckon thats a pretty good result- Im using a too small dish with a lousy lnb on it which is circularly polarised instead of linear, and I can get French TV on it :D:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
You've done well there....
Purely for nostaligic purposes of course. Yes the circular polarisation will be causing a tad of a problem however you can modify the horn to make it receive vertical using a some kitchen chopping board so I understand

Atomic Daz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV: Freeview (for now!)
PC: Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, 80GB Hard Disk, 128MB GeForce FX Graphics Card
My Location
Durham
Very impressive!

Are you going to try it with digital in the future? Would it work even?!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Atomic Daz said:
Very impressive!

Are you going to try it with digital in the future? Would it work even?!

Yes it should work as long as the receiver lnb setting is correctly set, and the satellite is powerful enough. I'll post results when I try it - probably on HotBird6 if I can find a suitable highband frequency to try.

AndyX

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-F3/5
Octagon SF4800
Octagon SX88
Fibo Gregorian 1.2m
Motec Positioner
Inverto c120 twin LNB
My Location
Central Scotland
:) I have a BSB squarial I used to play about with. Not much use for it now. I had attached it to a concrete block. It is now part of a rockery in the garden as I did not want to part with it, a reminder of when I first got into satellite.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
AndyX said:
:) I have a BSB squarial I used to play about with. Not much use for it now. I had attached it to a concrete block. It is now part of a rockery in the garden as I did not want to part with it, a reminder of when I first got into satellite.

Any chance of a pic? :)

R

Rd100

those dishes are very good and i would say better than any same size dish out there today, those lnbs are good for RHC & they also can be converted to LHC you can convert & pick up H & V channels with it but they won't work that good as the waveguide is to small for H & V

Also there is a nice new bsb squarial here

Vintage-Collectors-Item-Dmac-BSB-SQUARIAL-NEW

And a used one here

ATV-Antenna-RARE-BSB-SQUARIAL

ANALOUGUESAT can the lnb in the squareial be changed to a diffrent type or is it some type of special lnb in it just made to fit the squareial

Analoguesat said:
Heres the proof, you can just about make out a scrambled Canal+ signal.

I reckon thats a pretty good result- Im using a too small dish with a lousy lnb on it which is circularly polarised instead of linear, and I can get French TV on it :D:

ShaunSat

Satellite Jumper
Reaction score
Website
www.satellitestuff.bravehost.com
My Satellite Setup
Analogue FTA - Maspro ST9,
Sky Digibox - Amstrad DRX100(no subscription),
Digital FTA - Manhattan Plaza ST100 with motorised 98CM dish.
My Location
Essex, UK
I'll hazard a guess that the LNB bracket is custom made for that LNB, am i right in assuming its a Grundig as i have one that looks the same that came with one of my spare dish's.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The squarial lnb is effectively a plastic sheet inside the unit. No chance whatsoever of changing it for a different type.

That new squarial -25 quid buy it now - plus 15 quid postage. Ouch

ShaunSat

Satellite Jumper
Reaction score
Website
www.satellitestuff.bravehost.com
My Satellite Setup
Analogue FTA - Maspro ST9,
Sky Digibox - Amstrad DRX100(no subscription),
Digital FTA - Manhattan Plaza ST100 with motorised 98CM dish.
My Location
Essex, UK
Analoguesat said:
The squarial lnb is effectively a plastic sheet inside the unit. No chance whatsoever of changing it for a different type.

That new squarial -25 quid buy it now - plus 15 quid postage. Ouch
Arent we talking about the dish you have with an "lnb shaped like a spike"?

Or is this about the squarial? I know i was talking about the dish you have Ross but maybe i'm in the middle of squarial talk :confused:D

Edit: yep, just re-read and Rd100 was talking about the squarial, serves me right for reading quickly, but just to clarify i was talking about the dish and LNB you have in your pic.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I was referring to the squarial as having a non changeable lnb. The lnb on the minidish should be changeable with a bit of gentle persuasion, although it will need a lnb with a 20mm collar clamp, and Im a bit concerned about snapping the lnb holder - its only cheap plastic and doesnt look very strong. I might have to make something using slotted strips instead.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Ok, sorry to drag it up, but I just got me a Squarial too (I started a thread in Retro Tech about it)....

I took mine apart and the LNB (or LNC as it says on the label) is removable, but the mount and shape of the hole is totally different to any other LNB I've seen (although all I have seen are 40mm clamps and a C120 fitted to my Attisat). I am thinking of modifying the LNB by removing the old gubbins and replacing it with a modern Sharp Universal minidish LNB PCB, but I'm not 100% sure whether it would work or not...

And then there's the fact that I need a new soldering iron as my old one went BANG!!! :D

Anyway, back to the LNB, looking into the hole where the signal is picked up, the little twig looks just like the one in my Attisat's C120 LNB, sooo if I managed to get hold of a C120 (or replace the one in my attisat and use the one taken out of it) I might be able to have a fiddle about and see if that works instead, dunno how I'd attatch it though cos as I said the mount is totally unique to the Squarial...

My fingers ache now!!! :D

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
good job 2cv, b shure to brief us as you further advance

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Is the little round brown thing the LO? If so, do it need the screw ontop of it??? :-ohmy

(I only ask cos the casing of the sharp LNB is long gone and the two (I think) LO's have no screws on them)