CAMS and Cards - advice for complete novice req

bmews

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HDCI-2000 in apartment with common sat feed. Just ordered SKY+ (not HD) so i can get broadband
My Location
cambridgeshire
Setup = Humax HDCI-2000 on a fixed (shared dish) running v.16 firmware. About to have SKY+ installed with the variety package (1 mix?) Primarily wanted it for the broadband.

i know nothing about cams and cards and would like advice and pointers as to what i can reasonably expect to do should i purchase one and what card/s will need to be purchased along with the cam.

i really need a dummies guide (yet again) to this whole area and would appreciate advice and guidance.

regards

Barry.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
As you are fixed on Astra 28E, there's little point in obtaining a CAM for your Humax, as all you will be able to do is use your Sky card in it to watch the channels on the Humax that you are already subscribed to with your Sky box - unless that is what you are proposing to do. For this you will need to program the CAM.

The Diablo CAM would be a good choice, as in the future if you decide to add another dish, you will have access to other encrypted channels on various satellites that can currently be opened

A CAS programmer (from Duolabs) will be necessary to program the Diablo - the CAS3+ would be the best version.

Alternatively the Dragon/TRex Cam would be OK (still needs to be programmed, but other programmers will also work with this).

Check the CAM section of this forum for help in programming etc.

Llew

bmews

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HDCI-2000 in apartment with common sat feed. Just ordered SKY+ (not HD) so i can get broadband
My Location
cambridgeshire
Thanks Llew, I'm not sure of what the benefit would be of putting the sky card in the humax. I don't imagine it would allow me to see Channel 4 HD as i've not subscribed to their HD mix. I won't be allowed to put up another dish so i guess i'm fixed on the Astra 28e.

thanks for your replies. now if only there were a few more FTA HD channels around. is there anyway to find out what ITV intend to broadcast on their HD channel? I've looked on the freesat and itv hd site but they don't actually (unlike the BBC) seem to produce a schedule.

thanks again for all the help

Barry

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
bmews said:
I won't be allowed to put up another dish so i guess i'm fixed on the Astra 28e.
You could motorize your current dish :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
compufunk said:

He has a shared dish, mentioned in post #1. :)

bmews

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cambridgeshire
compufunk said:

i could indeed, and then wait for the resulting complaints and lynch mob :-rofl2

thanks for the reply tho, much appreciated

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
bmews said:
Thanks Llew, I'm not sure of what the benefit would be of putting the sky card in the humax. I don't imagine it would allow me to see Channel 4 HD as i've not subscribed to their HD mix. I won't be allowed to put up another dish so i guess i'm fixed on the Astra 28e.

thanks for your replies. now if only there were a few more FTA HD channels around. is there anyway to find out what ITV intend to broadcast on their HD channel? I've looked on the freesat and itv hd site but they don't actually (unlike the BBC) seem to produce a schedule.

thanks again for all the help

Barry

Ch4 HD is viewable on the Humax if you have one of the CAMS mentioned and it's suitably programmed to read your SKY card.

As for ITV HD programme schedules, few and far between I'm afraid. Radio Times or similar have any upcoming broadcasts flagged. There's a fooball match on tonight (30/09/08 -Arsenal v. FC Porto)

This site gives some info, nothing upcoming mentioned though after today.

_www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/freesat-channels/itv-hd-schedule

Llew