Can I get it?

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hello,
I live in Ireland, and I can currently receive all of Astra 28.2E, but only a small part of Hotbird 6/8/9 and Astra 19.2E (the UK channels).
I would like to receive all at once, or if I couldn't get them all, I would like to have Astra 28.2 and one of the other two. I think it is just a small panning of the dish that is needed, am I right? Do I only need to pan the dish to receive the Italian and French channels? (P.S. I know they are encrypted).
Thanks in advance.:D:D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
What size Dish do you have?

Do you want to re-align it every time you change Satellite, or are you thinking of fitting a multi-LNB bracket or a Motor?

Also, there are quite a few Free to Air Italian and French Channels around the bazaars.

eg French Digital and Analogue on Atlantic Bird 3 (5 West), which you can get with a Sky Minidish as it is immensely strong in the UK.

And, you're right, Hotbird (and to some extent Astra1) for Italian.

Not sure what you meant by "only a small part" and "the UK Channels".

The only notable "UK Channels" not on 28E are BBC World and Sky News International.

Are you simply just scanning Hotbird and Astra 1 Channel lists with a Dish aligned to 28E? If so, you will still only get Channels from 28E ............. (Some of the same frequencies are re-used on other Satellites, so if you scan the Hotbird list, you'll get results - but they will still be 28E Channels!).

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Well, the dish I have is a 60cm one as far as I can see, and according to the footprint picture of Astra 1M European Beam and Widebeam, I am well in range of receiving the signal from there, but would I be able to pick up Astrra 28.2E and Astra 1M (and possible F, G, etc.) at the same time? And would I pushing my luck to ask if I could receive Hotbird at the same time? I would, wouldn't I :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
IrelandKev said:
Well, the dish I have is a 60cm one as far as I can see, and according to the footprint picture of Astra 1M European Beam and Widebeam, I am well in range of receiving the signal from there, but would I be able to pick up Astrra 28.2E and Astra 1M (and possible F, G, etc.) at the same time? And would I pushing my luck to ask if I could receive Hotbird at the same time? I would, wouldn't I :D

That Dish is big enough for each of the 3 Satellites you mention - but only "one at a time".

If you want easy access to all three, then you need a bigger Dish (perhaps 80 or 90 cm) with a multi-LNB arm or you need a Motor (and you'd be better using at least an 80cm Dish anyway to get best benefit from a Motorised system).

Bottom line - a single Dish with a single LNB can only get Channels from the one Satellite position it is accurately aligned to.

Although you are indeed well within the Footprint of each of your desired positions, you can't avoid the need for precision alignment: The Satellites are 24,000 miles oop in space and a few degrees difference in position means a hell of a lot of miles!

Aligning a Dish is like pinpointing a needle in a four dimensional haystack. A miss is no good at all.

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
OK thanks for the info, that's what I was thinking it's just that I remember I year or so ago, I was able to watch German FTA channels, while also watching the likes of Channel 4 and BBC on 28.2E. Does that sound possible? Also, it was the same dish as I have now.
Thanks again for your help:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
IrelandKev said:
OK thanks for the info, that's what I was thinking it's just that I remember I year or so ago, I was able to watch German FTA channels, while also watching the likes of Channel 4 and BBC on 28.2E. Does that sound possible? Also, it was the same dish as I have now.
Thanks again for your help:)

You could only have done that if either the Dish has more than one LNBs on an arm or if the Dish was physically shifted.

Can you post up a picture of what you're planning to use?

IrelandKev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Sorry mate I can't, it's on the roof and I can't really get up there now with our gale force winds:D
Just read the rest of what you said in your last two posts there mate as I didn't see them when you edited them, and I think you're right about the 28.2 channels, they probably aren't on Hotbird and Astra 19.2. I'd prefer to have the Uk channels over the French and Italians, it's just I thought there was a possibily of getting all three at the same time, but seeing as there isn't, I'll leave it alone.
Thanks v much mate for all your help, you've been very helpful!