CCTV advice what to install etc,

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Just my thoughts but I dont think I would like to see that 'lump', even boxed in, on my lounge wall!

I just cut that lump off my camera, may be different on that Tenvis one (given you only need the wired data side to set it up on the WiFi and the OSD & time), but I had 5 pairs of wires, 2x Red & Black pairs (used for Power over Ethernet), the Green and Orange pairs (your Tx & Rx pairs) and a blue pair which made the LEDs on the lump flash (not required), then once the hole through the doorframe was drilled I pushed the wire through and snapped on an RJ45 plug, and used a coupler to connect my ethernet cable to it and the router, with a PoE injector hooked up at the router end... :)

RJ45Coupler.jpg RouterPOE.jpg LoppedLump.jpg PoE RJ45 wiring.png

Edit to add pic of the lopped lump...

Last edited:

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
At the mo I'm running one of these swann pci cards with bog standard el'cheapo cameras http://www.amazon.com/Swann-PC-DVR-4-Net/dp/B0007OKRIY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
http://swann.com/downloads/drivers/...1-PC4-PC-DVR4_QSG_English_071009_Version6.pdf
rsz_untitled.png
It does the job for now, they can be stacked to give more channels, send out email alerts when the motion detectors go off and can sound alarms indoors too
You can view it online using IE (via activex plugins or something like that) and there is an android app/symbian app too (remember those lol) but I can't get any of the iphone apps to work

A

Archive-8

Morning Chris.
Beginner really at the CCTV installation side so perhaps you can calm my thoughts!
In the picture the cabling I assume consists of LAN connection, power supply and a reset button.
¿Do you leave all that cabling external to sit by the camera and have to weather protect it or do you simply drill a large hole and have the cabling interior?

Just my thoughts but I dont think I would like to see that 'lump', even boxed in, on my lounge wall! The main cable itself looks very short so I guess the power supply connection lead has to be a very good length.

Just would like to see how yourself and others have cosmetically installed such a model of camera.

Thanks Chris and all. View attachment 76748

View attachment 76747

Hi pontiend,
You mention a run of 20m, that would suit me fine here. ¿Did you have to run an external power supply plug to connect as I imagine the power plugged lead that actually came with the kit was only a few meters at best!?

Not at all electrically capable so forgive my words and caution. :D

Best wishes and thanks.
Yes the picture you have is the same as mine:-)

image.jpg
image.jpg
Then it goes to a plug adaptor in the garage so does the power.

A

Archive-8

image.jpg
Had to move it from its first location as patrons in the pub kept trying to damage it.

A

Archive-8

And the ones at the other address all use plug adapters. As I don't use wi-fi there.

image.jpg

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Some pics from mine.I think that the reason that the colour looks a bit washed out is that the camera is only one meter from a big dark brown box.Fooling the camera.

Attachments

• Cam1.jpg
    Cam1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Cam2.jpg
    Cam2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 28
  • Cam3.jpg
    Cam3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 28
A

Archive-8

I just cut that lump off my camera, may be different on that Tenvis one (given you only need the wired data side to set it up on the WiFi and the OSD & time), but I had 5 pairs of wires, 2x Red & Black pairs (used for Power over Ethernet), the Green and Orange pairs (your Tx & Rx pairs) and a blue pair which made the LEDs on the lump flash (not required), then once the hole through the doorframe was drilled I pushed the wire through and snapped on an RJ45 plug, and used a coupler to connect my ethernet cable to it and the router, with a PoE injector hooked up at the router end... :)

View attachment 76754 View attachment 76755 View attachment 76757 View attachment 76756

Edit to add pic of the lopped lump...
What are you running zone minder on please?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
What are you running zone minder on please?

The software I'm using is Genius Vision NVR, and at the moment it's running on my dirty old Pentium4 media server (not really serving much media at the moment!!), and I can remotely access the server using the same program on my laptop in client mode, it's a handy program, but really badly laid out, once you figure out where they put everything it's quite a powerful piece of software, and for free too... :)

GVNVR.jpg

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
Nice and thanks to all for their posts......will feel more confident following those different pics, just cannot stand objects that are an eyesore in the house. :eek:

Will pop out and buy one IP camera to try!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
View attachment 76771
This ones cabling goes into the loft and the down the wall in the front room.

Is that the Saturn camera (advertised next to a baked bean can ?)

If so, could you post any images of things you might have captured on it ? I've got one to install in the next week or so for a neighbout and despite setting the focus, the image looks blurred in anything but bright daylight.

A

Archive-8

image.jpg
Here is the night picture from this cam.
image.jpg
But there is 2 more ipcams with IR's on them. And 1 45 led IR lamp aswell as the IR's on the cam. This photo is 480 mobile port.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Archive-8

This vid was captured on the cam out the back. Watch the hedgehog running around.

This vid is 640 resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Archive-8

Lol Chris, I have them at the moment, when I get them on the roof cam i have problems, but keep tuning it round usually gets rid of them.

View attachment 76791
Last year I found out the the spiders don't like the smell of lemon.

So I tucked a lemon wipe in the gap just above the lens.

I need to try it again this year.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The other night I found a lot of videos recorded that were triggered by a spider building a web over my camera, they really don't take long to find things to build on!!! :-rofl2

And looking now, the blummin' thing's built another web!!!!!!!! Flippin' spiders!! :rolleyes:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can buy a spray product called Spidex, works quite well to keep spiders away.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just cleaned off the cobwebs that appeared today, I was tempted to deal with the culprit using percussive maintenance, but, it was well above the camera, out of my reach... :-lol