Listen Up Changing root password on Linux based receivers

A nonymous

Reaction score
You can use Telnet to change the password. You can either download and use Putty Telnet client or you can enable the Telnet client in Windows.

How to enable Telnet in Windows 7 & 8

Code:
https://kb.ctera.com/article/how-to-open-a-telnet-session-on-windows-7-or-windows-8-os-16.html

How to enable Telnet in Windows 10

Code:
https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-enable-the-telnet-client-in-windows-10/

Users of Windows XP will already have Telnet installed.

How to change password with Telnet

Lets say the IP on your box is 192.168.0.9

Go to the windows run box and type telnet 192.168.0.9

telnet 1.jpg

When you have done that you should see the Telnet box. It will be asking for the box user name which will be root
It will then ask for the box password. ( It will not show whilst you are typing ) This could be image specific and could be pkteam, dreambox or nothing at all, you will need to know this in order to change your password using this method.

telnet 2.jpg

Once you are in your box, just type passwd

This will then ask you to enter the new password. ( It will not show whilst you are typing ) press enter to confirm.
It will then ask you to re-enter the same password, again press enter to confirm.

Your password is now changed.

telnet 3.jpg

Thanks to Boris from another forum for the screen shots
biggrin1.gif

Last edited:

sophie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
* Currently
1 x off set 60cm for 28.2e
1 x 60cm for 5w + 13e + 19.2e
Quad LNBs on each sent to different receivers in different flats.
My Location
belgium
My advice:-

1. Don't disconnect the telnet session immediately after the aforementioned passwd change.

2. Start a second session and verify you can still log in.

3. If this is ok, then check(or start) the ssh service. Check you can log in ( use putty on Windows).

3. stop the telnet service ( telnet was temoved from all modern distros more than a decade ago, and I have not used telnet since 2005!)

5. Create a new user account for you and add a password. Check that you can ssh in with these new credentials.

6. Backup and edit the sshd_config, and stop root from logging and allpw only your user to login:

PermitRootLogin no
AllowUsers YourUserNam

Restart sshd, and check your log files that it works/Test with a new session with your credentials.

Personally I should also set up key based authentication, disable password authentication, and drop any old types of encryption.

See here for your options:

sshd_config(5) - OpenBSD manual pages

( And for yoiur own sanity install a proper bash and vi . Busybox bash and vi is gimped beyond belief. )