China's Taobao Releases the 'HiPhone 5'

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
In the last quarter, Apple has sold a record 20.34 million iPhones. This sales success comes despite the fact that the company is rumored to be releasing a newer version of the phone, the iPhone 5 in just a few months.

Now, it seems China wants a piece of the pie. Metro Express, a Shanghai-based newspaper reported that the country's largest e-commerce site, Taobao is selling a 'HiPhone 5,' a knock-off of the yet to be released iPhone. The fake is based on leaked images of the iPhone 5, and is thinner than the iPhone 4. Like the iPhone, the HiPhone comes in black and white, but it also features versions in red and pink. The newspaper reports, however, that like most pirated mobile phones, the product is light and feels like a plastic toy.

Selling the knock-off for 200 yuan (£19), the fake 'HiPhone 5' is significantly cheaper than the iPhone 4, which sells for 850 yuan. An iPhone 4 would cost about £510 on the Apple UK website. However, the differences are quite noticeable. “Look at this. It's not the same as the 300 to 400 yuan ones,” said a Chinese store clerk, as reported by Metro Express.

There has been no report on the capabilities of the HiPhone, but Apple's iPhone 5 is said to have an 8-megapixel camera with 1080p Full HD video recording capabilities, and a 1GHz dual-core processor.

Chinese stores are always full of fakes. From electronics, to designer bags, to designer clothes and shoes, the country is known for its knock-offs. Reuters has even found knock-offs or look-a-likes of Ikea products.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
China: Land of the fake... :rolleyes:

jockrobin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
192 168 1 132
My Location
Colorado, USA
iphone 5 or Hiphone 5 have not been sold in Taobao,
for more you can search it in Taobao as follow:
Hiphone 5, no result.

iphone 5, just result of iphone 4S.

So stop blame China, and connect China with Fake.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This post is from a year ago, when these phones were all over the web, I'm sure they've stopped manufacturing them now under pressure from Apple.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
jockrobin said:
iphone 5 or Hiphone 5 have not been sold in Taobao,
for more you can search it in Taobao as follow:
Hiphone 5, no result.

iphone 5, just result of iphone 4S.
So stop blame China, and connect China with Fake.

Your browser parameters may be limiting your search, or the supplier(s) might just be calling them something else.

_http://s.taobao.com/search?q=phone+5s&initiative_id=staobaoz_20120831&suggest_query=phone+5s&sb_id=4&suggest=0_5&source=suggest&wq=phone