CI module headache

tdc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dutch receiver
My Location
Horup N. Germany
HI
this is probably a very stupid question!
Does a CI module or CAM work with cable TV or satellite or both.
Depending on the answer I may be back.
Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not a stupid question.

They can work in either but it depends on the encryptions used - channels on cable systems often use different encryption to the same channels via satellite.

tdc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dutch receiver
My Location
Horup N. Germany
Its not a stupid question.

They can work in either but it depends on the encryptions used - channels on cable systems often use different encryption to the same channels via satellite.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am using satellites.
The reson I asked is that I have a Newish Philips Ambi Light with CI slot.
On the rear of the TV there does not seem to be a conection to which the satellite dish cable could conect.
At the moment this cable screws into a conection in the non HD receiver.
I can only assume a different cable is needed?
As you can tell my knowledge on this subject is not good!
Thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
It depends on the tuner your television has.
Most only have Digital terrestrial tuners, for use with a television aerial, thus providing you with all the freeview channels, but you can also get televisions with a satellite tuner, so that you can get all the freesat channels.
If your television was bought in Gemany the CI slot might be for use with a Cam/Card, for the encrypted German HD channels, on Astra 1, 19.2E.
Can you please post the model number, of your new Phillips Ambilight TV.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
As Analoguesat says, the clue is in the name, CI Module stands for Common Interface module i.e. a mechanical interface that is common to many systems, but it is the combination of firmware and software that facilitates the decryption of a card of which there are many flavours and levels of encryption

EDIT

got distracted by a phone call, too late as always

Last edited:

tdc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dutch receiver
My Location
Horup N. Germany
It depends on the tuner your television has.
Most only have Digital terrestrial tuners, for use with a television aerial, thus providing you with all the freeview channels, but you can also get televisions with a satellite tuner, so that you can get all the freesat channels.
If your television was bought in Gemany the CI slot might be for use with a Cam/Card, for the encrypted German HD channels, on Astra 1, 19.2E.
Can you please post the model number, of your new Phillips Ambilight TV.
Thanks again.
I had better explain our situation.
We have at the moment 2 sat dishes .......1 for UK (freesat) HD
1 for NL and DE TV (non HD).
Seperate receivers for both.
Also a seperate DVD recorder/ player. This system works well, conected with scart cables and HDMI.
The UK setup is OK.
The NL channels are moving to another satellite and we have already lost Discovery Channel and others.
The NL system works with a paid smartcard.
At the moment we can watch UK TV and record NL at the same time.
My hope is that we can still do this if we are using a CI module which would be from Canal Digital NL
I assume the cable from the recorder will connect straight to the TV.
The model number.................37 PFL8404 H

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
A quick look at the technical specifications shows that this television has a DVB-T tuner, which is for terrestrial signals, but can also have a DVB-C tuner, for cable television, but no satellite tuner is mentioned.
You are supposed to have a sticker, on the rear of the television, to see which tuners you have.
I assume one of your dishes is pointing at 19.2E, where Canal Digitaal used to broadcast:
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigitaal19.html
now they also use 23.5E
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigitaal23.html

You might want to move your dish from 19.2E to 23.5E, or add a second LNB, two new bullet shaped LNB's should fit, so that you can get the most out of your subscription.

tdc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dutch receiver
My Location
Horup N. Germany
A quick look at the technical specifications shows that this television has a DVB-T tuner, which is for terrestrial signals, but can also have a DVB-C tuner, for cable television, but no satellite tuner is mentioned.
You are supposed to have a sticker, on the rear of the television, to see which tuners you have.
I assume one of your dishes is pointing at 19.2E, where Canal Digitaal used to broadcast:
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigitaal19.html
now they also use 23.5E
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigitaal23.html

You might want to move your dish from 19.2E to 23.5E, or add a second LNB, two new bullet shaped LNB's should fit, so that you can get the most out of your subscription.
Thanks for the info.
Yes when I sort this out I will be moving the dish to the new coordinates.
Seems the best solution is to buy a Canal Digital HD receiver. I was trying to save some money!!
Maybe someone can answer this question.........................
At the moment both the UK and NL receivers have two scart plugs. They are connected to the recorder and work OK.
Most Canal Digital HD receivers have only 1 scart socket.
How would I connect the NL receiver to the TV and recorder.
I guess it would be (TV HDMI to receiver) and (recorder scart to receiver).

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
You are correct, you connect the scart lead from your receiver to your recorder and set the recorder to AV1, or equivalent, you then connect the receiver, to your television using a HDMI lead and also your recorder to your television using a HDMI lead.
So HDMI 1 on your TV could be the receiver and HDMI 2 could be your recorder. Given your set up you would also have your second receiver connected to your television using a HDMI lead, most new televisions have at least 3 HDMI connections, others more, the one I have has 5 HDMI slots, as well as a scart connector, and others for gaming, and mine was a very cheap television, compared to most.

tdc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dutch receiver
My Location
Horup N. Germany
You are correct, you connect the scart lead from your receiver to your recorder and set the recorder to AV1, or equivalent, you then connect the receiver, to your television using a HDMI lead and also your recorder to your television using a HDMI lead.
So HDMI 1 on your TV could be the receiver and HDMI 2 could be your recorder. Given your set up you would also have your second receiver connected to your television using a HDMI lead, most new televisions have at least 3 HDMI connections, others more, the one I have has 5 HDMI slots, as well as a scart connector, and others for gaming, and mine was a very cheap television, compared to most.

Where you say "GIVEN YOUR SETUP" do you mean that there is only 1 HDMI cable needed from 2nd receiver to TV and no other connections.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
No, given the fact that you have 2 satellite receivers and DVD recorder. You should really use 3 x HDMI leads:
1st HDMI lead from Canal Digitaal receiver to TV
2nd HDMI lead from Sky receiver to TV
3rd HDMI lead from DVD recorder to TV.

This way when you want to watch something from Canal Digitaal, you select HDMI 1, when you want to watch Sky you select HDMI 2 and when you want to watch a DVD, or recording, you select HDMI 3.

tdc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dutch receiver
My Location
Horup N. Germany
No, given the fact that you have 2 satellite receivers and DVD recorder. You should really use 3 x HDMI leads:
1st HDMI lead from Canal Digitaal receiver to TV
2nd HDMI lead from Sky receiver to TV
3rd HDMI lead from DVD recorder to TV.

This way when you want to watch something from Canal Digitaal, you select HDMI 1, when you want to watch Sky you select HDMI 2 and when you want to watch a DVD, or recording, you select HDMI 3.
got it thanks for your help