Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Hi guys, just need some advice on adding a scaffolding pole to an existing 6ft concrete fence post.
I would guess the posts were sunk 2ft but not sure. Would it be a bad idea to attach two 12 or 18 inch stand offs with 6ft scaffolding pole and 1m dish to one of these posts?
:ph34r:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
It should be fine. I have a 1.2m Channel Master on a concrete post using 8 inch standoffs that's been up for a couple of years now. There's about 6ft of post above ground, about 70% of the dish is above the top of the post.

Generally they are 8ft long so 2ft beneath ground sounds right. The posts I've cut up all have 2 metal rods (rebar?) running up each side of the post, IMO you should only drill into the centreline between the rods.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
It should be fine. I have a 1.2m Channel Master on a concrete post using 8 inch standoffs that's been up for a couple of years now. There's about 6ft of post above ground, about 70% of the dish is above the top of the post.

Generally they are 8ft long so 2ft beneath ground sounds right. The posts I've cut up all have 2 metal rods (rebar?) running up each side of the post, IMO you should only drill into the centreline between the rods.
As I don't own the post Indont want to drill into it. I was thinking of attaching the standoffs under the existing nuts, although this would mean 2 nuts per standoff which might make it a no go in itself.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A job from last year. Six long mungo bolts into a 1.8m post.
4.jpg

3.jpg

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
As I don't own the post Indont want to drill into it. I was thinking of attaching the standoffs under the existing nuts, although this would mean 2 nuts per standoff which might make it a no go in itself.
Not sure what you mean, can you post a photo? There are a few types of post so I may not be talking about the same one.

Here is what I meant, the red dots are the metal rods, and the green line is where I drill.

726D26D0-A952-4B10-B9E1-649384D47D52.jpeg

If mounting something in the slots I would want it to be supported from the other side, not just bolted into the concrete. You can also fill the slot with wood and then mount brackets to the wood.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
Not sure what you mean, can you post a photo? There are a few types of post so I may not be talking about the same one.

Here is what I meant, the red dots are the metal rods, and the green line is where I drill.

View attachment 139598

If mounting something in the slots I would want it to be supported from the other side, not just bolted into the concrete. You can also fill the slot with wood and then mount brackets to the wood.

I was thinking remove the rusty nuts and hang the stand off x 2, put the rusty nuts back on, although the thickness of the steel stand off might not make this easy. I had forgotten about the wood screwed to the fence, I suspect this won't be so strong.

Image1.jpg

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
I was thinking remove the rusty nuts and hang the stand off x 2, put the rusty nuts back on, although the thickness of the steel stand off might not make this easy. I had forgotten about the wood screwed to the fence, I suspect this won't be so strong.

View attachment 139599

I guess those bolts are to stop the panels rattling in the wind? Would it be possible to replace them with a longer bolt? Getting the nuts off may be a mission itself.

Would anyone notice a few extra holes? I use these using only the right side holes but with an extra bolt between the two existing ones.

EA75DA52-3B99-4E02-A481-805441CF564B.jpeg

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
I guess the bolts form a cross brace between the posts and the vertical slats were put on individualy so I don't think it will be too "easy" to access the bolts from behind. I need to look closer when it's warmer outside. If I can't get at the bolts from behind then would it impossible to remove nuts safely?

No one may notice more holes but I don't want to go drilling, I want to leave as is (as I don't own it).

I have brackets the same as your image, I also have the same with 18 inch clearance but they are heavier. As far as I can tell the distance on the nuts matches the holes better on the 18 ones.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
I think the bolts will turn with the nut, you could cut the nut off or use a nut splitter to remove it but you'd still need to somehow stop the bolt from turning when tightening the nut.

Might be easier to put the pole in a large bucket of concrete, and connect the pole to the fence to stabilise it.