Dismantling Jaeger 1224 (triangular plate from spindle) ?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi,

Would anyone please be able to advise me how the rotating triangular plate is removed from the centre spindle of a Jaeger 1224 motor?

I can remove the allen bolt, the M8 nut and the screw that seem to be securing the plate on the spindle.
However, there is an M8 threaded stud remaining in the sleeve of the triangular plate that does not pull out and I am unsure what part this plays?
Perhaps it provides anchorage for the screw that came out of the opposite side?

I assume the triangular plate will be on splines and might need gentle tapping off but with the M8 stud still in place I cant see how the plate can be removed from the spindle?
The only thing I can think of is to drift the stud out from the opposite side using a pin drift?

Has anyone dismantled these components, if so I would be grateful for any feedback.
Pics below.

Jaeger 1224 Triangular Plate Allen Bolt Fixing.jpg Jaeger 1224 Triangular Plate Screw Fixing.jpg Jaeger 1224 Triangular Plate Nut Fixing.jpg

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
From memory you have to undo the spindle nut about half a turn and then tap it with a small hammer.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
From memory you have to undo the spindle nut about half a turn and then tap it with a small hammer.

Thank you,

Do you mean tap the nut on the threaded stud after backing the nut off half a turn in order to loosen the threaded stud that the nut is on?
Or tap the triangular plate after loosening the nut half a turn?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Just smack the nut, as always.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
u might find your answer \ help here @moonbase

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
Saturate the pin area and shaft area - for 1- 2 weeks with a good quality penetrating fluid - before hitting anything .. Its likely to be very seized .

Ferrosol is good ... Plus Gas also ... or a mix of petrol and diesel oil ...

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Saturate the pin area and shaft area - for 1- 2 weeks with a good quality penetrating fluid - before hitting anything .. Its likely to be very seized .

Ferrosol is good ... Plus Gas also ... or a mix of petrol and diesel oil ...

Will do, I have a can of Plus Gas so will give it a regular application with that.
I also have a pin drift somewhere that might be useful?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Update:

I got the pin out, soaked it with Plus Gas for a few days then gave it a decent whack with an 8mm pin drift, came out OK, no damage to the threads on either end.

Next job is to get the triangular plate off the rotating shaft, I assume it is on splines so it might take a bit of shifting if the splines are crudded up?
The triangular plate might be the cheapo alloy, same as the casing so it could expand a bit with a lick of heat, that might make it easier?

Has anyone used heat to remove the triangular plate?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
A little bit of nudging either side with a rubber mallet, then put the plate in a vice and give the motor light twists around the pivot.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
A little bit of nudging either side with a rubber mallet, then put the plate in a vice and give the motor light twists around the pivot.
sounds risky to me - wont that mess up the cogs ? or worse...?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Update:

I got the pin out, soaked it with Plus Gas for a few days then gave it a decent whack with an 8mm pin drift, came out OK, no damage to the threads on either end.

Next job is to get the triangular plate off the rotating shaft, I assume it is on splines so it might take a bit of shifting if the splines are crudded up?
The triangular plate might be the cheapo alloy, same as the casing so it could expand a bit with a lick of heat, that might make it easier?

Has anyone used heat to remove the triangular plate?
The plate is some brittle alloy composition metal. Whack it too hard and it'll break. I've broken one of mine like that. It's not on splines but is a very very tight fit (no sniggering at the back).

The same advice applies - soak it in everything possibly between gently tapping it out.