Dreambox DM7020 frozen and booting issue. Memory problem?

vda

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020
My Location
UK
Hi,

I have a Dreambox DM7020 that I used for years without any problem. However in the last few months it started producing a strange symptoms.

The box intermittently just frozen for no reason. I usually put it to stand by mode after watching TV in the evening, then next evening I could not turn it on. It just simply does nothing, not reacting to neither remote control nor front panel buttons. If I power it off then back again, it shows the image's logo and stucks there. The only thing I can do when it comes to this stage is to refresh the image. I used the original image from DM, no emu, nothing at all, just the original image. After refreshing, it works nornally for few days, sometimes for more than a week, then it starts all over again.

Because I did not use any 3rd party software or changed any settings (apart from scanning channels, obviously), my guess narrowed down to the flash memory is unstable.

Does anybody have same or similar issue?

If it was the memory issue, how can I test the memory and tell the box to exclude a range of memory address?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

vda

BM300

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, 7020, 800HD
HD-USB
8 Dishes
My Location
UAE
2 Things;
- Check that no component inside the box is showing signs that it is going to fail (black, size is increased).
If so replace it.

- Try another light image like Pli.

What happens if you put an image to use as multiboot?

vda

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020
My Location
UK
The only thing that could has size increased is electrolytic capacitor but all of them look fine. I even removed the hard drive to keep the PSU not being overloaded but it did not help, so my best guess is still the flash chip being unstable. I have seen pen drive having "bad sector" - the same issue with unstable flash chip.

My second thought is probably my box is a clone and the well-known time bomb just activated causing the box not to boot? I bought it from authorised distributor so I don't think it is clone, but who knows. However the original DM image is dated 2005, so it probably has no time-bomb inside.

I am still looking foward to hearing from someone with same problem to learn how it was solved.

BM300

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, 7020, 800HD
HD-USB
8 Dishes
My Location
UAE
Try loading an open Pli image on your box using the webinterface.

It worked for me.