2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
So ..
this doesn't directly affect me ...
I repair tech as you guys know ...and am affected by this sort of thing to a lesser degree..but not specifically this issue directly..
I don't touch phones ..
too small to fix for my old eyes..
that said ...I do understand and sympathise ...both with repair shops and end users.
This issue was revealed on BBC news yesterday...
F*** U Appul ...
This guys rant touched a nerve in me as an independent repair tech..

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, I saw reports about that.

Cars are heading the same way, too, with repairs requiring only OEM/Approved parts to be fitted - and logged as such by the vehicle's electronics.

Protectionism should be internationally illegal, but ways around legislation will always be found.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Android for the win...

Luke61

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Technomate, Philips twin lnb, Telekom HD receiver, fixed on 39E
My Location
Leicester
this is so lame. whats next? your imac blowing up when you use a logitech mouse with it?
never had an aple product and never will

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I recently bought a 27" retina iMac that I've been saving for for ages and I am ashamed to admit .... I love it.

I have an iPhone from work as well but I hate that just as much as the wife's iPad.

Much prefer the Android stuff.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Having worked with a lot of young folk I've found the attitude "You just don't like Apple stuff because you can't afford it" is really quite common. I could easily afford the phone(s) on the 24 month contract zero upfront contracts that are common in the UK, but I wonder how many of these "teeny boppers" could afford said handsets if the networks switched to the Russian situation where handsets are not subsidised by the network providers at all? I find their tech bland and for the technophobs of the world, by them having the same icons for every application on the phone from year one this let's people transfer from "old" device to new without feeling there's any learning curve. It's a bit like the success Nintendo had with the original Wii with the casual gamer "every man" market, the price point was spot on for it to be the middle class man/woman's "it" play thing to have a laugh with mates on playing Wii sports with the "awesome" motion sensor controllers and kid their selves on that the health platform titles would get/keep them healthy. The trouble with that success was simply this, casual gamers don't buy games, the initial investment in the consoles and a few token games that were the "in thing" quickly turned to nothing at all and then the consoles were stuffed in drawer, flogged on eBay or simply binned. I don't know when Apples bubble will burst but I would bet that if there was a story about iPhones being made with child labour & another story to the other side titled about "iPhone 7 specs revealed.." to the other, most people would click on the iPhone 7 story first.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A7-30F using Tapatalk

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
I believe in freedom of choice, If somebody wants to buy an iPhone every year upon new release then their welcome too, but for me built in batteries and no microsd card support would never float my boat, which is why I will never buy a Goggle "nexus" phone either.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A7-30F using Tapatalk

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Apple Sucks pure and simple always has always will android for me LOL

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Having worked with a lot of young folk I've found the attitude "You just don't like Apple stuff because you can't afford it" is really quite common.

Indeed, I could afford a contracted iphone too, but, I don't want to be stuck with itunes to put music on my device, I don't want my device to bend & break if I keep it n my pocket, I don't want the OS to brick my device if I fix it myself, and of course, I don't want to be associated with apple, a company that steals ideas and sues their creators when copyright infringement is raised...

Android has its imperfections yes, and Google likes to keep asking me to turn on their location tracking thing to keep an eye on where I'm going, but, the OS is customizeable, can be replaced with other OSes, the hardware's not restricted to "official repairs", and, there's choice, different devices of varying prices, different brands with their own unique features, addon devices that aren't brand-specific, it's freedom, "Be together, not the same"...

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
I have a Galaxy S 1900 for years and have just got a new genuine battery for £8-50. My sister has a basic Nokia with black text I got new for £10. She loves it simply because it does calls and texts. Who needs more as that is all I use my phone for.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Apple has released a fix for error 53 in the past 24 hours.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Apple has released a fix for error 53 in the past 24 hours.

Is that for people who have suffered it and lost everything stored on their phone cos they didn't believe in backups, or to prevent others from suffering it?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
My daily phone, still this one www.phonearena.com/reviews/Nokia-E5-Review_id2536 :O)
monthly bill £5

Got that amazingly good Nokia navigation, fully selfcontained gps, all europe onboard with hotels, gas stations, parking, hospitals, historical sites, museums etc etc etc, with no need for internet\wifi. Of course not updated daily, so if Dresden disapeared in yesterday's bombing raid I would not know in advance (in such cases google navi wins :O)

Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location