F5S: Unable to timer record HD channels.

KennyB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HB-1000S & Skybox F5S receivers to a Quad LNB. Laptop connected to Internet.
My Location
Devon
The box refuses to record HD channels.

When setting up a SD timer:-

Timer SD.jpg
Works perfectly.

But when setting a timer which involves an HD channel, the “PS Record” line is greyed out
and although the box wakes from standby as expected it fails to record.

Timer HD.jpg

I can do an instant record while watching a HD channel but the following message momentarily shows on the screen.
H264 only supports TS record

Nevertheless the recording plays back perfectly.

I must be doing something wrong , or have an option somewhere, incorrectly set.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
ISTR issues like this with my F3 >> They are very fickle about what USB sticks they are compatible with and the data transfer rates needed for HD are, of course, far higher than for SD. Could be related to that?

As for Timers, I find it best not to put the box into standby, as it then often fails to record, even though the Timer correctly powers up the box on the right Channel. I hadn't especially noticed if this occurred only with HD, though.

Nevertheless, it seems not much has changed with the newer Skybox variants.

Useful boxes, especially at the price, but somewhat temperamental.

KennyB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HB-1000S & Skybox F5S receivers to a Quad LNB. Laptop connected to Internet.
My Location
Devon
Update to my original post.

I'm an idiot! I should have realised at the outset that the issue is software related.

Tivù, after you making the comment about not putting your box into standby, I decided to carry out some tests.

Setting up a “Record” recording:-
If the “PS Record” line is greyed out on the timer setting screen, which it will be if you select to record a HD channel, then the box will come out of standby but not record. The box will only record from standby if “PS Record” line is not greyed out.

If the box is already out of standby it will happily record the HD channel, and then go into standby when the recording has finished.

The recording played back perfectly, so my choice of USB pen drive seems okay.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That makes sense - never really bothered experimenting too much as it's rarely used for Recording. I do make a lot of use of Live Pause and Chase Play, though.

Well done - and thanks for the info.