Advice Needed Faulty LNB or misinformed by engineer without inspection.

Gerald Manley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin LMB to Humax box
My Location
Wilmslow Cheshire
I have lost the signal from my sky dish to my Humax box. The dish is about 17 years old. About 8 years ago I had a new twin LNB fitted. An engineer came out today and told me I would have to have a new dish fitted as LNB's were no longer made for my dish. He wanted £249.00 to do the job. He did not even go to the satellite dish to check if the cabling etc was O.K. Diagnosis was made from the ground with only a part of the dish visible. I have the feeling I am being stitched up. Any kind engineer who would confirm or deny this would be much appreciated. I am an OAP and think that a diagnosis from the ground is a bit iffy. Thanks

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
If it's an early mk1 Sky Digital dish then it's true that the LNBs that fit it directly are no longer made. If it's a mk2 Sky dish then adapters are available. A new dish and LNB can be bought for around £35, so he's charging a lot in labour for what is a simple job. A photo of the dish will help us to identify it.

Does the Humax have meters showing signal strength and quality? It would be helpful to know the model number of the Humax box.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Since it is a twin LNB try swopping over the two cables into the box first.

Without going up to the dish and checking. the system might have failed becuase of alignment (or something obscuring the satellite), the LNB, connectors, or cable run. Even a pair of good binoculars won't assist unless you spot something severed.

You may also have a faulty Humax, but only a signal check or second receiver will prove it. What make/model of television do you have ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It could well be the LNB, but could be an obstruction or dish misalignment, whatever the issue, £249 is a lot of money, even for a complete new dish and LNB, even if it's difficult to get to. There are as previously mentioned, adapters for Mk2 dishes, but the adapters for the early thin boom dishes are few and far between, I used my last one a year or so ago, whereabouts are you?

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It could well be the LNB, but could be an obstruction or dish misalignment, whatever the issue, £249 is a lot of money, even for a complete new dish and LNB, even if it's difficult to get to. There are as previously mentioned, adapters for Mk2 dishes, but the adapters for the Mk1 dishes are few and far between, I used my last one a year or so ago, whereabouts are you?

....... Wilmslow ...... :cool:

Gerald Manley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin LMB to Humax box
My Location
Wilmslow Cheshire
If it's an early mk1 Sky Digital dish then it's true that the LNBs that fit it directly are no longer made. If it's a mk2 Sky dish then adapters are available. A new dish and LNB can be bought for around £35, so he's charging a lot in labour for what is a simple job. A photo of the dish will help us to identify it.

Does the Humax have meters showing signal strength and quality? It would be helpful to know the model number of the Humax box.
Thank you for your help. The Humax box suddenly came on last night with a good and clear signal. No reason. The dish is mounted on a chimney on a dormer bungalow.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Thank you for your help. The Humax box suddenly came on last night with a good and clear signal. No reason. The dish is mounted on a chimney on a dormer bungalow.

Perhaps the F connector on the cable(s) from the dish is a little loose where it mates with the Humax?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If it is perched on a bungalow dormer then the 'installer' is only after some easy money.