Hacktv: analogue tv transmitter

astra 1D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
digital setup on astra and BSB British satellite broadcasting receiver not setup and a analog satellite box not setup
My Location
UK central
now all we need to do is send a hack rf to space and use it as a analog satellite :-rofl2

fsphil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Still playing with analogue. Also running a Humax FOXSAT-HDR and a Thomson THS804.
My Location
UK
Given the puny output power, it's likely your only viewers would be at Jodrell Bank or Goonhilly. And I bet even they would struggle.
I believe even the current generation of broadcast satellites could be used for analogue, if someone is willing to hire a transponder :-)

astra 1D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
digital setup on astra and BSB British satellite broadcasting receiver not setup and a analog satellite box not setup
My Location
UK central
Do you know how much an analog transponder cost

fsphil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Still playing with analogue. Also running a Humax FOXSAT-HDR and a Thomson THS804.
My Location
UK
From a NASA doc: "A typical transponder costs $1.2 million to lease each year". That's probably not far off.
Then there's the equipment for uplinking. That'll be many thousands.

astra 1D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK central
how far can you move the hack rf before the signal starts to get to get bad

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Given the puny output power, it's likely your only viewers would be at Jodrell Bank or Goonhilly. And I bet even they would struggle.
I believe even the current generation of broadcast satellites could be used for analogue, if someone is willing to hire a transponder :-)
No reason why any of the tp's coundnt carry analogue if so desired. A satellite tp is basically just a "bent pipe" in apace - it reflects down to earth what it receives on the uplink. There is some fancy frequency shifting & amplification but its nothing particularly special.

The ONLY reason analogue transmissions got shut down in favour of digital is spectral & cost efficiency. If you can transmit 15 digital channels in the same spectrum as 1 analogue channel you immediately cut individual channel running costs by a factor of 15. And if you rent 10 tps then you can transmit 150 channel instead of 10.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
how far can you move the hack rf before the signal starts to get to get bad
Does it really matter? Its an interesting application of old technology but no-one is going to use it further than across their garden.

astra 1D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK central
Does it really matter? Its an interesting application of old technology but no-one is going to use it further than across their garden.
I know it’s just interesting to know

astra 1D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK central

fsphil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I managed 5 metres but ran out of space, but yeah it depends on many things. It's not even certain that all hackrf's leak these signals, it might get "fixed" in future versions.

steeviebops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A basic 28.2 Freesat config, but have had a long history of satellite TV dating back to the analogue 19.2 days. Using a HP ZBook 15 G5 laptop (Core i7-8850H, 32GB RAM, Quadro video card)
My Location
Drogheda, Ireland
I tried it on my HackRF today and it worked quite well but not perfect. I used to have one of the Lidl camping dishes but it didn't survive a house move a few years ago, would have been ideal for this. I only have a Saorsat Ka band LNB so I used that instead.

I transmitted at 5 GHz to pick up on the LNB at 20 GHz. The caveats were that I had to invert the video polarity and that the positioning of the LNB was very precise. Deviation looked best at 4 MHz. I had to remove the RF shield and case in order to get a decent picture. I also got some wavy lines on the screen but that might be down to my equipment, not too sure.

astra 1D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK central
I tried it on my HackRF today and it worked quite well but not perfect. I used to have one of the Lidl camping dishes but it didn't survive a house move a few years ago, would have been ideal for this. I only have a Saorsat Ka band LNB so I used that instead.

I transmitted at 5 GHz to pick up on the LNB at 20 GHz. The caveats were that I had to invert the video polarity and that the positioning of the LNB was very precise. Deviation looked best at 4 MHz. I had to remove the RF shield and case in order to get a decent picture. I also got some wavy lines on the screen but that might be down to my equipment, not too sure.

what receiver is that

astra 1D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK central

steeviebops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A basic 28.2 Freesat config, but have had a long history of satellite TV dating back to the analogue 19.2 days. Using a HP ZBook 15 G5 laptop (Core i7-8850H, 32GB RAM, Quadro video card)
My Location
Drogheda, Ireland

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
@Captain Jack is on the ball, it is indeed an SRD2000.
You should try getting live analogue

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im going to split this C-band chat off into its own thread as you seem determined to derail the hack tv chat with it.

Edit - Ive moved your posts here

You can chat away as much as you like without taking this thread off topic