disrespectful

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop vaio win vista
PC: intel core duo 2.93 GHz, win7 32bit
My Location
Tehran
hey guys
i am not sure i am asking this in the right place but ...
i am planning on buying a hd dreambox but i cant decide betweem 500 hd and 800 hd. the price is not very important for me but on the one hand 500 hd is newer and has a stronger cpu and on the other hand 800 hd is more common in different forums and has been admired by several users. also it is said that in some cases 500 hd has some hardware and image problems. so i appreciate if anyone could clarify which is better!
Regards

powel000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Paraclipse 2.40m solid dish,
Jonsa 1.80m dish,
3.40m mesh dish,
dreambox7020SI,
relook400S,
HUMAX, dream 500hd
90CM DISH,
My Location
AMMAN-JORDAN
I have used Dreambox 500hd sine April 15. Very nice and stable for me. On the other hand I have read on many forums about the hardware problem that you have mentioned. If you are in Location where it will be hard for you to return the dream if anything happened, then you shouldnt buy it. If you have access to a dealer and you can return easily then you should buy with no worries. If you are in no rush just wait for the new 800hd and the 7020 hd which should be out in september. I guess with the 500hd its you and your luck.

disrespectful

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop vaio win vista
PC: intel core duo 2.93 GHz, win7 32bit
My Location
Tehran
Thanks for your answer.
i will be in germany for a month for visiting relatives. so do you think that is enough time to work with 500hd and verify wether it is going to work fine or not? And about 800hd se how do you know it will available in september?
(we know dream multimedia can be very late and lazy like releasing 8000hd!!)
another question: do you think 800hd is too old and is not worth buying because of its old cpu? or this is not considerable?

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
The 500HD has consistently been more stable than the DM800 for me - I think it is the increased CPU power that solved the instability problem that the DM800 has. I also see that Dream is going to release a DM800 with the higher CPU spec, so I think they recognise the problem. I have several dreamboxes, but now use the DM500HD as my first choice box.
As far as hardware reliability is concerned: both boxes are made by the same company so I would expect to see the same level of reliability or unreliability on both. If you look on the forums, there have been many DM800 that failed, so the DM500HD is not unique. In the warmer climate you come from the DM500HD has a further benefit in that it has a builtin fan and the hard drive is external, reducing heat in the box.