My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
laminas feed horn
Invacom quad LNB
Humax foxsat PVR
My Location
Tenerife
Hi all

Currently looking at cameras/systems for home CCTV. My searches have come up with 2 possible solutions. Not being an expert in this field, and seeing a significant price difference for the cameras involved, thought I would ask for some help/advice.

The 2 systems that I have seen (that I think would suite my needs) use these cameras:

HD-IP 1080P varifocal External IP Bullet camera - XC1080BAP

SECURICAM® 2.4 Megapixel HD 1080P POE Outdoor Varifocal Bullet Camera with 60M Night Vision

Now to a me the price differential for these cameras is not justified (in my mind) by their respective specifications. They seem almost identical (the XC1080BAP is said to offer better night vision support via smart IR control) but is that it? As as I say, I'm no expert.

So can anyone with a better understanding of these specifications offer some advice please on the two cameras and what would/could warrant the pricing differential?

A

Archive-8

Hi all

Currently looking at cameras/systems for home CCTV. My searches have come up with 2 possible solutions. Not being an expert in this field, and seeing a significant price difference for the cameras involved, thought I would ask for some help/advice.

The 2 systems that I have seen (that I think would suite my needs) use these cameras:

HD-IP 1080P varifocal External IP Bullet camera - XC1080BAP

SECURICAM® 2.4 Megapixel HD 1080P POE Outdoor Varifocal Bullet Camera with 60M Night Vision

Now to a me the price differential for these cameras is not justified (in my mind) by their respective specifications. They seem almost identical (the XC1080BAP is said to offer better night vision support via smart IR control) but is that it? As as I say, I'm no expert.

So can anyone with a better understanding of these specifications offer some advice please on the two cameras and what would/could warrant the pricing differential?

First thing is how do you wish to view them? And what is the purpose? Eg to detect people or to identify people?

FRINGE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
laminas feed horn
Invacom quad LNB
Humax foxsat PVR
My Location
Tenerife
First thing is how do you wish to view them? And what is the purpose? Eg to detect people or to identify people?

Hi Chris. Both really. But identity is a key requirement i.e. enable the police to see a clear image in order to subsequently help trace any individual(s) - if required.

FRINGE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
laminas feed horn
Invacom quad LNB
Humax foxsat PVR
My Location
Tenerife

Thanks for the links. Very useful information.

I have already decided/selected what I think is the best suited equipment for my needs and have narrowed down the selection to two choices. These two choices use different 1080p camera models with very similar specifications but with significantly different prices. The two camera models are in my original link.

What I need is a better understanding of why the two camera models have this significant cost variation because I cannot see justification for it (myself) in the specifications. However, if I am missing a key issue that DOES justify this price variation then I need to be pointed in the right direction..........................any thoughts/comments?

A

Archive-8

All my cams are 640x480 but they are a few years old now. On average £40-£60 a camera is about right.

I use tenvis they are clones of foscam.

I have the ipcam's linked to a foscam Nvr and displayed on a monitor in the corner of my front room.

I also have it linked to my iPhone/iPad so I can view on the move.

And I have used footage before to secure a conviction against someone causing criminal damage in the garden of one of my property's.

But to get the best night time view you may need to add some ir lamps aswell.

A

Archive-8

If you are going to use "Mjpeg" cameras then you really need to have a gigabyte lan.

As Mjpeg uses a lot of bandwidth.

H264 is much better for streaming over the net.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Most of the cameras available are usually over-priced for what they are, you can trawl through DealExtreme and you usually find the same things at a far lower price:

Code:
http://www.dx.com/s/1080p+ip+camera

Though the delivery takes a bit longer, but it's better than over-paying for the same product... :)