HDD problem

twingang

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion box.
Dell Dimension desktop.
My Location
Essex coast
Hi! fellow members. I have a WD elements USB HDD which was used with an Ice crypt 3250 and therefore formated by that stb.

I had found that using the above Hdd with my Gigablue Quad plus (depending on the image used) became erratic as
sometimes I was able to access the recorded files & other times not, sometimes I was able to
record & other times not.

My question is as follows: will I have to save the files that are on the Hdd to my PC & then
Re-format the Hdd or is there another way, as I would like some of these files to remain available on the above Hdd ? Many thanks

Last edited:
A

Archive7

My question is as follows: will I have to save the files that are on the Hdd to my PC & then
Re-format the Hdd or is there another way, as I would like some of these files to remain available on the above Hdd ? Many thanks
It is always a good idea to backup your files and using the PC, provided you have enough space there, would help.
Try to copy the files using ftp. I use FileZilla and it is very good.
What is the file extension of your recordings and are they all one file or several?
VU+ PVR creates about 5 different extensions for each recordings and I usually copy all these files in order to preserve the integrity if I need to copy it to a new HDD later on.
You can then check how good the videos will play on the PC.
And of course reformat the HDD in the new receiver, when it is completely empty.

twingang

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion box.
Dell Dimension desktop.
My Location
Essex coast
Hi ! Sleepy Hollow,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I don't think that I've explained the problem I have properly.
My Gigablue does not recognise the WD 1TB Hdd and I am therefore unable to use it, it contains about 50 GB of wanted files.
Thank you.

A

Archive7

Hi ! Sleepy Hollow,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I don't think that I've explained the problem I have properly.
My Gigablue does not recognise the WD 1TB Hdd and I am therefore unable to use it, it contains about 50 GB of wanted files.
Thank you.
But in your post you mentioned that you are able to access the recordings using the GigaBlue which means the receiver does recognize the HDD.
Your priority now is to backup the 50 GB recordings by transferring the files to your PC.
How do you do that:
Use FTP like FileZilla and copy the files to the PC.
Or connect the HDD directly to the PC and depending on the formatting and if you are using Windows O/S it might not recognize the HDD because it was formatted in Linux.
You can use in this case the free tool called DiskInternals Linux Reader. Use it to copy your valued recordings to the PC.
Check that you can play the files OK on the PC.
If everything goes well, format the HDD in the Gigablue receiver and do some recordings to see if the recording is smooth and not erratic as you have it now.
Finally copy your files from the PC to your HDD, as you mentioned you want to keep them there.
Please note that different receivers create different files for recordings and this might explain the erratic behavior with the GigaBlue.
If you intend to use the HDD on both receivers, then I would suggest that you use a new HDD for the GigaBlue.
Good luck.

twingang

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion box.
Dell Dimension desktop.
My Location
Essex coast
But in your post you mentioned that you are able to access the recordings using the GigaBlue which means the receiver does recognize the HDD.
Your priority now is to backup the 50 GB recordings by transferring the files to your PC.
How do you do that:
Use FTP like FileZilla and copy the files to the PC.
Or connect the HDD directly to the PC and depending on the formatting and if you are using Windows O/S it might not recognize the HDD because it was formatted in Linux.
You can use in this case the free tool called DiskInternals Linux Reader. Use it to copy your valued recordings to the PC.
Check that you can play the files OK on the PC.
If everything goes well, format the HDD in the Gigablue receiver and do some recordings to see if the recording is smooth and not erratic as you have it now.
Finally copy your files from the PC to your HDD, as you mentioned you want to keep them there.
Please note that different receivers create different files for recordings and this might explain the erratic behavior with the GigaBlue.
If you intend to use the HDD on both receivers, then I would suggest that you use a new HDD for the GigaBlue.
Good luck.
Hi

twingang

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion box.
Dell Dimension desktop.
My Location
Essex coast
Thank you for your reply.
Can I just add, I only had the Ice crypt box for a short period of time before I returned it.
The Gigablue box did recognise the Hdd but that was when I had Openmips installed but as other problems were occuring I decided to try OpenVix, which worked a lot better overal but alas will not recognise the external Hdd.
I have therefore only been able to record on flash drives.
I hope this makes things clearer and I'm sorry for not putting my point over more clearly in the first instance.
Thank you.

A

Archive7

Thank you for your reply.
Can I just add, I only had the Ice crypt box for a short period of time before I returned it.
The Gigablue box did recognise the Hdd but that was when I had Openmips installed but as other problems were occuring I decided to try OpenVix, which worked a lot better overal but alas will not recognise the external Hdd.
I have therefore only been able to record on flash drives.
I hope this makes things clearer and I'm sorry for not putting my point over more clearly in the first instance.
Thank you.
No problem.
In this case, since the GigBlue doesn't recognize the HDD, you don't have the FTP option.
Can you try to connect it directly to the PC and if necessary use the tool I mentioned?
This way you can at least salvage the recordings before doing a format.
You can try formatting it in the PC as FAT32 and if the GigBlue recognizes it, you can change the format to a better method that Linux uses.
Perhaps it is not recognizing it simply because the IceCrypt recordings are in a format that the GigaBlue doesn't recognize or because it wasn't formatted with it's software in the first place.
If nothing works, perhaps you need to reflash it again with same or different images until you get a version that recognizes it.
Goo luck.

twingang

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion box.
Dell Dimension desktop.
My Location
Essex coast
Hi! Sleepy Hollow.
You have been very helpful and I really appreciate your interest in this matter .
Thank you.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I like your new name Sleepy Hollow ;) rolls much easier of the tongue