Help, new to scene - so confused which box should I get please

robinhood1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD
My Location
Midlands
Hi everyone,

I've just stumbled across this whole scene, I feel like I'm the last to know, overheard some guys talking about "cs" (which I understand can't be discussed).
I've been looking around and trying to do as much research as possible but there's lots of information to absorb.

At the moment, I'm trying to understand which is the best box for me.

It appears the dreambox 800se hd pvr seems to be quite popular - but am I correct in saying that although this has one tuner it is able to record 2 or more channels as long as they are on the same transponder - which from doing a bit of reading seems to mean that upto about 5 or so channels can be on one transponder - so only the channels on that same responder can be recorded?

I'm after a box that will give me the same functionality as the sky+hd box i.e. be able to record 2 or more channels (irrespective of which transponder) - so I guess I need a 2 tuner box.

The VU+ Duo seems to fit the bill, what other boxes are there that can record 2 channels and pros/cons? any pointers to any reviews?
- are these boxes like pc hardware i.e. different manufacturers but then run the same software like windows - is that what they call the firmware image - which is the OS/GUI?
(It would helpful if there was a sticky with a glossary of terms think it would really be helpful to newbies)
What do I need to look for in a box to know that it is capable of "cs"

I appreciate your help - just want to make sure I buy the right box - I so wish I had come across this scene earlier - how long have I been in the dark!?
Kind Regards,
Robin Hood