Help Newbe in trouble

Conny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec star passion + HD kit, no computer set up
My Location
Cork
I have just managed to get my Fortec star passion + system set up (Purchased 18 months ago) and have got good quality & signal strength but a few minutes after every time i turn on the box the picture starts rolling, Any ideas??

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hello

Welcome to the forum Conny

You do not say how your stb is connected to the TV and do not mention the type of TV. The symptom you describe is normally associated with the old CRT TV's when the horizontal hold needed tweeking

Conny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cork
The tv is fairly recent with stb connected by scart, i have a second hand sky box with some fairly useless channels on it which works ok, but when i connect up the fortec star stb the picture starts rolling after a few minutes every time, this also happens with another tv i have again the sky box is ok on this tv

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well your fault finding seems conclusive and your stb appears to be faulty. What exactly is wrong with it I am not able to say, perhaps one of the members more adept at electronics will be able to help.

EDIT
Just a thought, the software was a little iffy when released some time ago and I wonder if your stb needs updating, I doubt that would fix the problem but it would eliminate one more variable

Conny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cork
Hi Topper
Thanks for your time, i'm fairly sure it is the box i was just wondering if there was an easy fix as to get someone to check it out defeats the economical idea behind getting it in the first place, how do i update the software? download via internet and then usb key to stb??

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The build quality of some of those Fortecs leaves a bit to be desired. Try another type of connection as well (S-video etc) Not perfect but at least it would isolate the problem area.

Conny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cork
Hi Topper
I dont have an S-video (Ithought i had 1 but its a bigger type with different prongs) but i tried the red, white & yellow 3 cable jacks which i plugged into the back of the stb and connected to the tv but again exact same problem ie rolling picture, so it must be that the box is %&&%&%ed

Conny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cork
Sorry Analoguesat i thought that was topper

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Conny said:
Sorry Analoguesat i thought that was topper

No problem I am sure AS is not offended....
For you the annoying factor is that it has never been used and is now out of warranty.
The fact that it is OK when initially switched on indicates that a component is going out of tolerence when warmed up.
Even more annoying is that it could just be a capacitor that is swollen, which often happens when the stb's are mass produced using cheap components and then the unit is not used for a while, a bit like when an AA battery is left in some equipment for many months and leaks a bit.
So I would if I was you cut your losses and buy something decent.
As a last resort though, if this is an HD stb why have you not got it connected using HDMI cable, or is your TV not HD?