Newbie Here Hotbird 13 and Astra 28.2 with the same dish?

ojaysmoke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Icecrypt - Hotbird 13
My Location
manchester
I've never set up a satellite dish or anything as such and this will be my first time. I have an Icecrypt receiver connected to a dish, 80cm i think, pointed towards Hotbird 13e and it works fine.
However I want to get the Sky channels too which are on Astra 28.2.
Would it be possible for me to add another LNB to my current dish and receive both of them with the same dish?
If so, how hard will it be and would installing a new dish be easier?

Thanks in advance

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi Ojaysmoke

Welcome to the forum

Whilst a second lnb is often a possibility in these circumstances it really depend on the dish size and amount of patience you have and your line of sight. Both birds are reasonably powerful and I would tend to go with your focal point on 28.2E and picking 13E as the offset lnb. As I am not an installer or indeed very experienced in 2nd lnb's I would wait for a reply from someone more experienced, in the meantime have a search on the forum search utility for your needs or start with this thread

https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/my-sat-setup-part-2.161783/#post-902824

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dead easy to do - get something like this

http://tinyurl.com/ln24wem

hook the second lnb up, adjust for maximum signal, set the disecq switching arrangements up and away you go :)

Stick a third lnb in and you can have 19E as well :D

ojaysmoke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Icecrypt - Hotbird 13
My Location
manchester
Dead easy to do - get something like this

http://tinyurl.com/ln24wem

hook the second lnb up, adjust for maximum signal, set the disecq switching arrangements up and away you go :)

Stick a third lnb in and you can have 19E as well :D

Thanks for all the replies. This way does seem very simple.
but which direction do I point the dish, do I keep it at hotbird 13e?
also how do I align the second LNB to get Astra 28.2? are there any guides on that?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
For 13E / 28E keep it on 13E - 28E is higher powered here in the UK.

The best way to align the second lnb is simply to take an old portable tv outside and play with the lnb location until you nail it. With the main focus on 13E the offset for 28E will be left & up a bit as you face the dish. Across 4 or 5 inches will be about right, up an inch or so.

This is why those particular lnb clamps are ideal - quick and easy to setup with no real fiddling needed

ojaysmoke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Icecrypt - Hotbird 13
My Location
manchester
For 13E / 28E keep it on 13E - 28E is higher powered here in the UK.

The best way to align the second lnb is simply to take an old portable tv outside and play with the lnb location until you nail it. With the main focus on 13E the offset for 28E will be left & up a bit as you face the dish. Across 4 or 5 inches will be about right, up an inch or so.

This is why those particular lnb clamps are ideal - quick and easy to setup with no real fiddling needed

thank you for all your help mate.
I assume this is the sort of lnb clamp you were referring to?
3lnb-example.jpg

with this it seems that the LNBs will all be on the same line all facing straight ahead, will this not be a problem? I thought maybe the second LNB would have to be tilted to make sure its facing the centre of the dish, or does that not matter?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
3lnb-example.jpg

with this it seems that the LNBs will all be on the same line all facing straight ahead, will this not be a problem? I thought maybe the second LNB would have to be tilted to make sure its facing the centre of the dish, or does that not matter?
I use those types of LNB brackets and they work well, but I tend to bend them ever so slightly so it focuses the LNB in a little to the centre. The metal is reasonably pliable.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
3lnb-example.jpg

Yup those are the ones - I ve got several and they are incredibly easy to use. As Timo says bend the brackets in a bit - stick the bracket over the end of a workbench and push gently on it until it gives a bit. It only needs to be in a little to improve the alignment towards the dish

Make sure you tighten the screws up well - the brackets will slip in time if you dont (been there!)

sab3082

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fracarro 85cm Penta motorised dish with INVERTO Ultra Twin Dual LMB ,
TM-5402-M3 receiver
My Location
portsmouth uk
I've never set up a satellite dish or anything as such and this will be my first time. I have an Icecrypt receiver connected to a dish, 80cm i think, pointed towards Hotbird 13e and it works fine.
However I want to get the Sky channels too which are on Astra 28.2.
Would it be possible for me to add another LNB to my current dish and receive both of them with the same dish?
If so, how hard will it be and would installing a new dish be easier?

Thanks in advance
Looks right to me