Newbie Here How Do I Get Georgian Channels?

Tommy6000009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
Belfast, UK
Hi,

I am new to this all but my aim is to get Georgian TV channels for my wife. I have searched the internet for around a year now but still I'm no closer to knowing what satellite and receiver I should buy and even if it's possible to receive the channels.

I have seen Georgian channels listed in Turksat 3A but again, I have no idea what that is. Is it a broadcaster or a satellite company like we have in the UK(SKY for example) who charge a monthly fee?

I guess what I'm asking is:-

1. Is it possible to receive Georgian channels from the UK?
2. How would I do it?
3. Can I pay for somebody to do it for me?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Welcome to the forum Tommy

quick answers - which I will expand on later:

1) yes (Intermittently though!)
2) an appropriately sized dish pointing at the desired satellite
3) yes - there are plenty of installers round the UK, and a good few on here

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Done a quick search, on Kingofsat, and there are quite a few, being broadcast, FTA, Free to Air:
Code:
http://en.kingofsat.net/find2.php?pos=&cl=geo&num_pays=&num_genre=&num_crypt=&num_standard=&ordre=freq
42 East might be your best option, but I haven't checked yet.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ok expanded answer
1)

this is the list of Georgian channels currently available in Europe

http://tinyurl.com/q8my3th

Please note many of the Georgian channels encrypt intermittently for a few months.

Of the satellites on the link

36E is fairly easy to get, 42E is easy, and 46E surprised us this week when the Georgians switched to the west beam and appeared on reasonably modest sized dishes. :D

Tommy6000009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
Belfast, UK
Thank you for the great responses. I now know that it's possible, which is a great start.

Could somebody link me to, perhaps a satellite and receiver set, which would work for this?

I would then perhaps call around some installers to see whether they could do it for me.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
An 80cm dish or better still a 1m dish will get 36E or 46E(*) easily. There are a few more Georgian channels on 46E but they need a bigger dish - I dont get them here on a 1.1m dish

http://www.lyngsat.com/AzerSpace-1-Africasat-1a.html

(eg the ones on 11175V)

(*) we have no idea if the switch to the Europe beam is permanent on 46E or just a temporary switching error - with satellite tv things tend to come and go especially with the smaller countries

Almost any cheap receiver will do for free channels. The Technomate 5402 boxes have a good reputation on this forum.

Tommy6000009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
Belfast, UK
The channel she is looking for mostly is Rustavi 2. I see that one isn't listed in the link you provided.

So I can buy any dish, as long as it has the size, in order to pick up the channels?

I see the receiver you mentioned for £129.99 which I'd certainly give a go, as soon as I get back from Georgia in September.

Tommy6000009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
Belfast, UK
I now see Rustavi 2 listed. Sorry, I'm blind.

Tommy6000009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
Belfast, UK
Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TECHNOMATE-500mm-MOUNT-CABLE-MOTOR-Light-Grey/dp/B007C5312K

Would this be a good one to buy?

Could I attempt ,as somebody completely new to this but who is a quick learner, to install this myself? Or would it be a good idea to have somebody do this for me?

Considering I would like to learn a lot more in future, perhaps it's better to try myself and pick up some things?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Most of us here are Hobbyists who started from the same position as you - So DiY is a good option.

But BEWARE: It's addictive!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
With some help from us you could set yourself up, many folks have done in the past. And you will learn a lot too.

The most important thing for a motor install is that the pole is TOTALLY vertical. If it isnt you will never get yourself sorted.

And yes as Tivu says its addictive - Ive currently got 5 receivers under the telly & 9 dishes in the garden (although Im a little extreme even for this hobby :D)

Tommy6000009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
Belfast, UK
Most of us here are Hobbyists who started from the same position as you - So DiY is a good option.

But BEWARE: It's addictive!

It's fine if I become addicted, it's something I'm really interested in. It's always good to have more hobbies!

Tommy6000009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
Belfast, UK
With some help from us you could set yourself up, many folks have done in the past. And you will learn a lot too.

The most important thing for a motor install is that the pole is TOTALLY vertical. If it isnt you will never get yourself sorted.

And yes as Tivu says its addictive - Ive currently got 5 receivers under the telly & 9 dishes in the garden (although Im a little extreme even for this hobby :D)

I need a motorised dish then?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If I were you, I'd start with a single fixed dish, get comfy with that, then proceed to motorising in due course.

Tommy6000009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None.
My Location
Belfast, UK
If I were you, I'd start with a single fixed dish, get comfy with that, then proceed to motorising in due course.

Sounds like a good idea. Certainly if a fixed dish will receive the channels, then I'd like to master that first.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Dont forget Astra 5B at 31.5E, which seems to be available in some parts of Uk on modest-ish (1.2m) dishes. There's Magtisat pay packet on there, which I am sure you have heard of. You would simply need to bring the subscription and receiver from Georgia.