How to Cook White Rice

A

Archive7

This might seem trivial and easy, but it took me a long time to make good white rice.
First of all, I don't have gas at home. They kept raising the monthly payment even if you don't use gas and I use hot electric plates since last six years.
The trick with making good rice is to have a good temperature control. Every time I changed the hot plates (I am too lazy to clean them so I throw them away and buy new ones once a year) and then I need to calibrate the thermostat so to speak to know which knob settings are best.
OK, now to business.
Use a small pot with a lid cover with handle.
For one serving, fill half a cup with white rice. Fill another cup with 3/4 cup cold water.
Set the hot plate knob to maximum and bring the water to boil.
Put the rice content over the boiling water while stirring.
Add a tiny amount of olive oil.
Add half teaspoon table salt while stirring.
Cover the pot with the lid and set the knob to a lower number. I use number 3 with a maximum of 5.
leave it for at least 15 minutes without peeking.
Then take the cover off to inspect. If everything has gone well then you should see the rice looks nice in one layer and just steaming.
Leave it for another 10 minutes at lower temperature say number 2 or 1.
Switch off the hotplate and serve. Enjoy.
I am thinking of buying a rice cooker, but all I can find is large ones and I need for just two servings.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
What's taking so long HB? I can do a nice fluffy Basmati in three minutes max using your quantities and similar method, albeit on a low gas.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
First of all, I don't have gas at home. They kept raising the monthly payment even if you don't use gas ...
My brother found himself in the same situation when the rules changed a few years ago. He only used a couple of pounds of gas a quarter and was considering having the gas meter removed.

I got him onto a zero standing charge tariff which put him back to only a little more than he had been paying previously. I think it was with a company called Ebico and the stupid thing was that they are just a reseller of one of the big six and they are using the same company as my brother was with before. The billing even stays with the original company as they handle it on behalf of Ebico.

He is also a low user of electricity but, because the electricity company that Ebico uses happens to be a descendant of the original monopoly electricity supplier in our area, they were unable be competitive.

I have no idea about cooking rice...

A

Archive7

What's taking so long HB? I can do a nice fluffy Basmati in three minutes max using your quantities and similar method, albeit on a low gas.
Hi Llew,
I am not in a hurry and it tastes really good.
There is difference between a quickie and with foreplay.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
A

Archive7

My brother found himself in the same situation when the rules changed a few years ago. He only used a couple of pounds of gas a quarter and was considering having the gas meter removed.
I removed the meter and with the deposit money I bought my first hotplates.
I begged my sister all the time to disconnect from the gas but it was like talking to a brick wall.
Last month she had a strong smell of gas and asked the company to send a technician. He checked the system and put a warning on her gas cooker it is leaky. She came to her senses finally and disconnected from the gas company and now she is using hot plates.

A

Archive7

I forgot to mention that you need to soak the rice in water for at least 15 minutes, rinse well before pouring it onto the boiled water.

A

Archive4

I have a special container for use in the microwave which cooks anything from rice to a whole chicken.
It comes with a measuring cup and tells you how much rice to how much water in the instruction book. Works a treat every time from one portion to ten portions, you just adjust the cooking time. I always add a drop of vinegar as well as the salt, black pepper and oil, according to some chefs this helps to cut down any starch.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I cook rice in a bag..is this wrong?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shopping, hand or colostomy?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Well, you pay for convenience I guess...a 1kg pack of boil in the bag long grain rice is 1.80€ in my local Super U...(can't find a price for Lidl's)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
We've rather taken to Brown Rice nowadays.

Start cooking on Monday, ready in time for Curry Night, the following Saturday.