How to stream from Dreambox to Internet

Vinniek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB500, DM800 (snide), MBOX cam, DiSEqC Motor
My Location
London
Here's a simple way to stream sat channels from your Dream Box to the net.

You will need only a couple of bits of software and to be honest VLC Player can do it by itself, dreamView is a front end for it and makes life a lot easier (especially changing channels).

I can pick up the stream on my PDA when I'm out if I can find a a wireless network and I also stream footy to my mate on a Saturday afternoon. I've got 4mb NTL and the settings used in the tut work fine and I can leave it streaming all day long.

You will need a DNS IP and a router and your PC needs to be on all the time to transcode the stream.

Vinnie (Cookie)

djkenzo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB7000/ 7020/ 500, Hummy and all kind accesories
My Location
EE
great explication, thanks.
if i want to stream out only inside my own LAN thru my router (some resident relatives in same building) to diffrent PC, any better way to get better quality in such simple way? bandwith is not a problem here i guess..?

bonotzm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
metabox 5'
My Location
Asia
hi,

i've went through your guide but i can't get it to work. i'm currently using gemini 3.2. here's my network settings :-

router ip : 60.50.xx.187
router LAN: 192.168.1.1
|
switch (3com, unmanaged/no ip)
|
Dreambox LAN : 192.168.1.51
(g/way & DNS set to 192.168.1.1)

i'm using the aztech DSL600EU router, and the guide to set this is stated at http://www.portforward.com/english/r...tech/DSL600EU/

i've tried port forwarded port 21, 23, 80 to try ftp,telnet and web-x-tv/VLC but what i get is the ftp/telnet/web to my router. what possibly went wrong?

(i've port forwarded eMule services and i got HIGH ID with KAD network excellent but it doesnt seem to work with dreambox web)

i've checked my network for port opening thru online port scanning web and it indicated warning of open ports on 80,21,23 & 31339 but i can't get through. tried using IE but i get the router webpage instead of web-x-tv (from LAN). how do i control my dreambox from outside?

one more problem is with HDD recording. it'll stop at 60-70% each time i set it. it will start recording on time but it finishes earlier. any clue?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Tick dhcp on the db comm settings, and reboot. If you see any change to the numbers, you are ok, just change back the box ip last number and untick dhcp, reboot. Otherwise you have no connection between the router and the box. Merry christmas !

maniacop32

satmaniac ,DIY man
Reaction score
What would you say is the minimum speed on the internet connection to try this?The initial post says 4mb dsl connection. Will a 1mb connection do the trick?
cheers and happy new year,chris cyprus.

Vinniek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB500, DM800 (snide), MBOX cam, DiSEqC Motor
My Location
London
maniacop32 said:
What would you say is the minimum speed on the internet connection to try this?The initial post says 4mb dsl connection. Will a 1mb connection do the trick?
cheers and happy new year,chris cyprus.
1mb will do the trick, you will just loose out on the quality.

You would need to downsample the audio and video streams according to your maximum upload speed.

If you can find out your upload speed (google for broadband speed test), then make sure the values are below your upload speed. Your upload speed will probably be around 250k?

Try using only 1 channel of audio at 32k and video of 128k, then test too make sure the stream is stable, then crank up the video bitrate and test again. Trial and error I'm afraid!

Cheers

Vince

maniacop32

satmaniac ,DIY man
Reaction score
Yes , thanks to vinnie (vinniek) i was able to pick up his dreambox stream from london england all the way to limassol cyprus.I picked the video on my pc and my smartphone via my wifi network at home

Once again thank you vinniek for the detailed guidance.

nwostarz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
13e and 19e
all packages c/s
My Location
london
could someone help me with this im on msn
removed*msn.com

skywave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
One 100cm dish with 3 Universal Quattro 0.6db LNBs at 28.2E, 19.2E, 13.0E..

One 85cm dish with 1 Universal Quattro 0.6db LNB at 0.9W..

4 - 4x1 DiSEqC switches..

DM8000HD, DM7020S, HUMAX VACI-5300, OPENTEL ODS 4000F
My Location
Luxembourg City
Thanks Vinniek - for the HowTo - especially for the link to usbhell and the OCX info..which was what I was struggling with on my new VISTA OS..
Now dreamView works spiffingly :-)

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
PCD said:
Tick dhcp on the db comm settings, and reboot. If you see any change to the numbers, you are ok, just change back the box ip last number and untick dhcp, reboot. Otherwise you have no connection between the router and the box. Merry christmas !

I would not recomend that personally. I would leave the Dreambox on DHCP and assign it a fixed IP in your router. This way the DNS addresses etc will be assigned to your Dreambox by your router automatically.

_s79

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500 80 Dish .3 lnb
My Location
uk
Great guide, I registered on this site after reading that.

There is now a newer version of dreamview :)

I can get everything to work in the guide up until the broadcasting from the Mystream.m3u part

http://local_ip:8080

It opens up in VLC, but no data is transferred (I can see that from stream info) any ideas?

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Nice guide VinnieK thanks a lot. Guys askin about minimum connection speeds bare in mind, So far people have been quoting 1mb and 4mb lines. This is ofcourse download speed and whats important here is ofcourse upload speed. I'd hazzard a guess that no one in the UK has an upload of more than 60k ! So what I'm saying is that you don't need great bandwidth for good results.

Now my question is this. I've followed the guide and I understand what I'm trying to achieve. However , can anyone confirm if dreamview works with the DM7025 or not. As I can't even get that to function on mine. As the 7025 differs greatly from all other dreamboxes I'm wondering if there's a problem with dreamview.

Anyone ???
Cheers MCC.

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
I've been doing this on an 8mb line which has 570k upload, and get a very watchable stream, using my own way, which is based on this. I'm upgrading my line to get +1.5 meg upload with be, so hopefully will be kicking out some very nice streams indeed. I usually let the audio suffer when streaming stuff like sports or something to get adequate frame rate etc

sparrow

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500
My Location
UK
Hi Viniek ,

Thanks for posting the streaming guide. I am having a little trouble getting over the final hurdles here.

My setup;

DM 500 with Gemini 3.2
VLC 0.8.6
Dreamview 0.1.5
Router: Linksys WAG354G
Windows XP Pro

Ok, Port Forwarding was no problem, there was no “Stream” (or anything else for that matter) at 8080 so I added it in - I read up and its says that the router doesn’t care what the name is.

I followed your instructions regards dreamview and all seems to work ok locally, however when I try to access the box via the internet (i.e. using the dyndns.org url I set-up) vlc simply doesn’t open anything.

I have checked and re-checked the server output (of course changing the ip to 192.168.1.66, my DM ip address where appropriate)

DHCP is on, but this isn’t an issue as the router hasn’t re-assigned the IP to the box for ages.

One thing that does seem strange – VLC doesn’t update the stream/save area (I have to do all that manually) for some reason it doesn’t seem to be picking up from the cut and paste from “Edit stream data” in dreamview.

Very grateful for any thoughts

EDIT: I haven't made any changes to the router firewall, most things seem enabled, but the fact I can access the Enigma Web Interface should mean (?) that it probably isn't a firewall issue?

Cheers

Sparrow

Nicodemuz

Reaction score
I would like to pass stream on to my phone which VLC is capable of via re-encode but are there any control interface for WAP.
Maybe it is enough to setup some sort of HTTP-to-wap proxy (if there are any of such out there)?
Or are there any WAP servers for Dreambox out there?
Or maybe a Java application form my phone to control my Dreambox?
Like a mini-HTPC frontend?
Maybe Mediaportal, which uses VLC to watch Dreambox streams, could be used together with a small Java application in the phone?

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
I stream to my office over my 512kbit upload using vlc to re-encode the stream. To be able to change chan without any sort of control interface i do this.

Change channel on dreambox web if.
Access my vlc.pl script which is actually a .pls file auto generated from the video.m3u dreambox gives you but modified to work a bit better.

This way i can watch tv and change channels anywhere.

If you like i can make a lil script for you to change chan and watch the stream all inside a browser window (like webxtv but working)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7000s 40gb hard disk, sky + sky digi box, comgag sl65 *2 twinhan pci sat card. 2* sky digi boxes each with quad lnb's 1M televes dish superjack dg120 motor. dreambox and 4 pc's all networked running vlc from dreambox. Some pc's wireless.hita
My Location
abertillery area gwent south wales
Hi,

Does anyone know if i can stream to a psp i can get the web interface on psp to open up but channel lists do not show up also when i open remote control only half of the remote control shows up has anyone managed to get streams to a psp ?

X_Splinter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 500
My Location
Portugal
I cant put it work

The Danm Cone doesnt go away(that orange VLC cone))(-red

Someone help

chris25j

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox general
My Location
nicosia
hi, i have a dish and dreambox as set-top-box.iam interested to stream the video and audio signal from my pc to the tv of my neighbour's house. i would like to know if this is possiple to be done and the ways required.