Humax 5400 v Dreambox 7000 v Dreambox 5620

kungfumaster

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this satellite 'hobby' and I was thinking of getting a patched 5400z, now I've started to read about this Dreambox and I'm wondering whether it's worth getting this instead?

However, it seems that it is quite difficult to setup, is this really the case? I have a computing degree from a few years back but know nothing about the Linux OS - do I need to?

Also, the German sateliite shop http://www.hm-sat-shop.de are doing the 5620 for an amazing 169euro, which is about £112! Which is very tempting, the 7000 is 319euro. How much more difficult, if any, is it to get the 5620 working than the 7000? And for the people who have ordered from them before, how much is postage and is there a tax cost involved as well?

Thanks in advance!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Do a search in this sectin for hm-sat.de and you will see the cost in another couple of threads, can't remember what the carriage was, but my 7000s with 120GB HD was £305 delivered.

kungfumaster

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that thread, but I think the 7000s has changed price since then, so I can't work out the postage. Did you have to pay any tax?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The price was inclusive of VAT.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, was doing several other things at the same time, missed the most important question. :)

Choice between almost any other receiver and Dreambox? No question in my mind, the Dreambox comes out top, a little PC knowledge required, but nothing that cannot be picked up pretty quickly, you should have no problems. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
kungfumaster said:
Hi,

I'm new to this satellite 'hobby' and I was thinking of getting a patched 5400z, now I've started to read about this Dreambox and I'm wondering whether it's worth getting this instead?

However, it seems that it is quite difficult to setup, is this really the case? I have a computing degree from a few years back but know nothing about the Linux OS - do I need to?
Thanks in advance!

Dreambox rules, don't go for anything else!
Mate, don't you worry about the Linux. All you need is here: http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=24618
If I could get my 5620 to work, then anybody can. And you got the advantage that you have computing experience...
And lastly: Buy a 5620, only spoiled, spotty faced nerds buy the 7000, real black belted fierce Kungfufighting machine-men go for the masculine, compact (and cheaper) 5620 O-Ha O-Ha O-Ha

I hope you had a read here : http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=25308 maybe this will help you make up your mind!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You better do wot T_G says, cos it's just not worth all the nagging and childish remarks (Even though the 7000 is far superior) ;) .

I just bought one a couple of days ago from HM-sat.de and here are ALL the costs :-

Dreambox 700-S including 120GB HDD 409 Euros
UPS postage 16 Euros
Visa transaction surcharge 17 Euros

Total 442 Euros

No tax, no customs, no other fees.

The total charged to my Visa was £301.

Now why would you buy anything else?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
BGonaSTICK said:
You better do wot T_G says, cos it's just not worth all the nagging and childish remarks (Even though the 7000 is far superior) ;) .

Now why would you buy anything else?

What about value for money?? What about not always choosing the easy path? If I open up my dreambox, do I not see the same channels? Do I not use the same Keys? Seriously, once the recording issue has been cleared (which is only a matter of time) then there is really no reason to have a 7000...

T_G

Childish remarks??? You are just a jelous that I"ve got a bigger dish and TWO receivers nananananaah :p

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
.... and don't forget the chainsaw.... I love chainsaws....:rolleyes:

kungfumaster

Reaction score
Right, decided to go for the Dreambox but can't decide whether to buy the 5620 or 7000!

The 7000 is basically £100 more, almost double the price. Is it really worth it? Apart from the hard drive capability, the compact flash and something else in the other thread, what else (really) useful, is there?

T G - you say "What about not always choosing the easy path" - does this mean that the 7000 is a lot easier to setup and use? That's a big plus if it is..

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I've made the mistake of going for the cheaper option on a lot of occasions and often regretted it later, having the hard disk is a big advantage to me, as I like to keep my lager supply topped up on an ongoing basis and the pause function is crucial. :) The flash memory means that you can swap images more easily, but I admit to not having used that feature.

kungfumaster

Reaction score
So you think that it may be a mistake to go for the cheaper version in this case?

One of my main concerns is the support for the 5620. There seems to be a LOT more info for the 7000 than the 5620.

Sorry, and another question, is it (almost) essential that you connect the Dreambox to the internet. How much more hassle is it to not use the feature?

btw Thanks for all the comments so far :)

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
It really would be better to connect your PC and Dreambox via ethernet - for image updates and telnet, ftp etc.

If you use broadband i would definately use either internet connection sharing or a router to connect the dreambox to the net.

Even if you use dialup you should still be able to share this connection for the dreambox. Most key updates etc are only small files so should not take to long to update.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
BonceChops said:
It really would be better to connect your PC and Dreambox via ethernet - for image updates and telnet, ftp etc.

If you use broadband i would definately use either internet connection sharing or a router to connect the dreambox to the net.

Even if you use dialup you should still be able to share this connection for the dreambox. Most key updates etc are only small files so should not take to long to update.
Agree totally, and also agree that trying to cut costs and go without the disk could be false economy in the long run.

.... Having said that.... a 5620 can be had new for £150, and you can watch the same stuff. Tough choice! All depends I suppose on how much cash you have.

From what I've seen, the 7000 has MUCH better support, though that may change in the next 6 months...