Newbie Here Intelsat-21 in the UK?

_Andrew_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky TV
My Location
Scotland
Hey,
Don't really know much about this stuff, I was wondering if it's possible to pick up the Intelsat-21 in the uk and what size of dish would be required to receive it.

Sorry if i've missed out required information, I'm a newbie at this stuff.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Possibly.

58W should achievable subject to us knowing a little more about what specifically interests you in getting it?

As far as I can tell, it carries Data Transponders only.

FlySat Intelsat 21 @ 58° West

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.

_Andrew_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky TV
My Location
Scotland
Thanks for the replies.
I'm looking to get KCTV, Korean central TV(North Korean TV), I believe it's only available on 2 satellites.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
@nelson_b

Ah, wonder why Flysat doesn't show that.

Probably finger trouble at my end.

I do recall getting a Ku Sports Feed labelled BT some years ago and watched World Cup Cricket on it with my 1.1m dish.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
Thanks for the replies.
I'm looking to get KCTV, Korean central TV(North Korean TV), I believe it's only available on 2 satellites.

hi - i can receive that channel here in north west uk ....
with a 1.8 metre dish fitted with a C band l.n.b. would be tricky to pick up with a dish smaller than that ....

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
@nelson_b

Ah, wonder why Flysat doesn't show that.

Probably finger trouble at my end.

I do recall getting a Ku Sports Feed labelled BT some years ago and watched World Cup Cricket on it with my 1.1m dish.

Flysat has not listed 58 west C band for a couple of years now ???

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Really?

Well it isn't bedtime reading for me anyway, so I've only just found out!

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Really?

Well it isn't bedtime reading for me anyway, so I've only just found out!

l.o.l. .... don,t know why they stopped the C band listings ....
i even used to send them the occasional update too ...:(

_Andrew_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky TV
My Location
Scotland
hi - i can receive that channel here in north west uk ....
with a 1.8 metre dish fitted with a C band l.n.b. would be tricky to pick up with a dish smaller than that ....
Thanks! Do you have any recommendations to get a dish that size?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Andrew welcome to the forum.

Please be aware that a 1.8m dish requires some serious engineering for a secure mount. You will need a large lump of concrete if you are ground mounting, and an investment of probably several thousand pounds if you want a decent dish and a decent mount. Dont think about buying one of the ultra cheapie 200 quid dishes you sometimes see advertised - they have very little structural stability and perform poorly

_Andrew_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky TV
My Location
Scotland
Andrew welcome to the forum.

Please be aware that a 1.8m dish requires some serious engineering for a secure mount. You will need a large lump of concrete if you are ground mounting, and an investment of probably several thousand pounds if you want a decent dish and a decent mount. Dont think about buying one of the ultra cheapie 200 quid dishes you sometimes see advertised - they have very little structural stability and perform poorly
Ahh.. Guess i won't be getting a dish that size then. (well anytime in the near future.)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can sometimes find web links for ip versions of kctv.

Many of us watched the service on 10E when it was relayed a few years ago for the memorials to the death of Kim Jong Il

_Andrew_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky TV
My Location
Scotland
I know of a few weblinks, though they can be unreliable.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I would echo everything that Analoguesat said in his post above regarding dishes and mounts .... avoid the cheap flimsy dishes .....

large good quality dishes do come up second hand on the auction sites now and again at reasonable prices ... recommended brands would be
Channel Master ... or.. Elite/Precision... are the first that come to mind ...
and not less than 1.8 m in size though ... reception can be borderline .. even when well set up on one of these quality dishes ....

regards ....

ps . another thing to note is that 58 west is low in the sky so a good clear line of sight is required .. not always so easy with low elevation satellites

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I used to receive that transponder on 58W on my 1.5m Gibby last year but I was not getting it about 2 months ago on my 1.8m. I haven't checked it recently.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I used to receive that transponder on 58W on my 1.5m Gibby last year but I was not getting it about 2 months ago on my 1.8m. I haven't checked it recently.

Still there C.J. Transmissions revert to a test card around mid afternoon for the rest of the day .....

nk 1.jpg nk 2.jpg

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
_Andrew_,

Check out eBay for a decent dish. There was a channel master 1.8m dish with ground stand and polar mount sold recently for £204. There is absolutely no need at all to spend thousands of pounds.

Channel Master 1.8 meter satellite dish with Polar Mount..... for Nilesat etc

The above dish was listed in the "Bargain Big Dishes For Sale" topic on this forum. Keep an eye on that topic as it is updated with dishes for sale that have been spotted by forum members. As pointed out by "nelson_b", the makes of dish to look out for are Channel Master, Elite and Precision, I would also add Prodelin as making decent quality dishes. Get a second hand one of these models and you could be up and running for less than £500 including the cost of some type of concrete base.

Rgds

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you buy a whacking great dish remember you will need planning permission AND understanding neighbours.

Plus a good view out to the south west - so if you have a block of flats or high trees nearby to the SW you want to do some site surveys before you spend a single penny.

And will the missus be pleased with you if you dig a cubic metre or so hole in the lawn for the stand and fill it with concrete?!