Is it strictly necessary to provide receiver serial #, when purchasing legal sub?

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Me and my neighbours decided to cooperate our forces (& finances, too), and buy official subscription to premiere package and 3 meter dish also (required for stable recepetion of that package), and then do C/S in neighbourhood.

Currently, our equipment is not ready yet, but one of our friends is in Germany, so we had an idea to ask him to buy official card for us. He went to shop, and discovered, that you need your receiver serial number submitted to premiere, for your card to work.

Since we still not decided which receiver we'll use for C/S, we don't have any serial at hand. Is it possible to tell some random number at shop now, but when we'll purchase receiver and have it's serial # at hands, call them (prior to card activation) and change recorded serial # ?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
BombedOne said:
Me and my neighbours decided to cooperate our forces (& finances, too), and buy official subscription to premiere package and 3 meter dish also (required for stable recepetion of that package), and then do C/S in neighbourhood.

Currently, our equipment is not ready yet, but one of our friends is in Germany, so we had an idea to ask him to buy official card for us. He went to shop, and discovered, that you need your receiver serial number submitted to premiere, for your card to work.

Since we still not decided which receiver we'll use for C/S, we don't have any serial at hand. Is it possible to tell some random number at shop now, but when we'll purchase receiver and have it's serial # at hands, call them (prior to card activation) and change recorded serial # ?

I wouldn't do this (giving false information).
I am not surprised because Premiere has now NDS (Videoguard) encryption, so this must be the reason. (Just like Sky Italia, SKY UK, Yes Israel, etc.) where you have to match between the smartcard and the receiver.
What you need to ask is how this is done with other NDS packages.
Probably using a Dreambox receiver.
The shop should be able to give him a complete system, receiver and subscription (the receiver is not that expensive (SD) and would keep the card updated, so try this possibility.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
The main point of interest is, that is it possible to change receiver (and serial # also), after subscription activation?

They of course can sell a bundle with receiver together, but we don't need their receiver at all (I'm sure it won't allow C/S or any other "nice" features).

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
BombedOne said:
The main point of interest is, that is it possible to change receiver (and serial # also), after subscription activation?

They of course can sell a bundle with receiver together, but we don't need their receiver at all (I'm sure it won't allow C/S or any other "nice" features).

I understand your need to save money, but you probably need their receiver to keep the subscription alive. It is a small price to pay and you will be able to watch the package for sure.
A Dreambox might be able to help you with the other point, but you have to wait for a confirmation.

mjb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Fox
My Location
Germany
If you use an official receiver, they want/need the s/n.
If you use an AlphaCrypt CI card, they don't want/need the s/n.

I know this because I changed from an official receiver to an unofficial one. Premiere/Sky sent me a new card for the AlphaCrypt module in my unofficial receiver and didn't ask for a serial number.