Is my dreambox a clone?

mebs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arion AF-1500E.
My Location
London
Hi,

I bought a dreambox 500S from ebay.de and am unsure if it's a genuine box (the seller assured me it was). The reason I asked is that I noticed the MAC address on the package box is different from the one when I plug it to my router. HOWEVER, both are addresses starting with 00:09:34. Could that be a clone?

Secondly, I have played around trying a few images (nabilo, gemini, marwensat).. A problem arose where I could not get a lock to astra 28.2 anymore (it says : " wait till tuner locks" and it never gets lock.) If I plug another FTA receiver to the same cable, I can watch free channels straightaway. So this exclude any problem with the LNB. Any idea? I have restored the original image, but still same problem. Could that be a hardware issue?

Thanks a lot

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If its a new box its a clone as genuine 500's havent been made for years

mebs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arion AF-1500E.
My Location
London
Thanks .. no it's not a new one - I bought it as used.

Any clue about the 2nd question?

Thanks

hdp160

Reaction score
This page will probably answer your question.

_http://dreambox-hd.blogspot.com/2012/01/identify-differences-between-dm500s-and.html

_http://cccam-exchange.com/threads/5956-how-to-find-out-if-you-Dreambox-Original-or-clone

A nonymous

Reaction score
The 00:09:34:xx:xx:xx Mac address is what it should be for a Genuine Dream Multimedia box.

Most of the older clones on the market used a Motorola mac address which started 00:12:25:xx:xx:xx

How do you think the old Gemini timebomb knew which DM500s were genuine and which ones weren't.

If its a second hand unit it may be in the wrong box or as usually happens it will be a clone as the boxes are mass produced with the same sticker on them.

Sometimes the only way to tell is by opening the units up and looking. The attached picture may help :D

Nano

mebs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arion AF-1500E.
My Location
London
Thanks for this snapshot. I opened the box and comparing to the pic you attached, it does match the original.