Is my FortecStar Passion dead or just asleep?

juclarie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dead Kathrein UFS910 can anyone fix??

Fortec Star Passion+
My Location
UK
My Passion plus has started to inexplicably restart when I am watching HD channels, no problem on SD channels. Started on Saturday whilst watching BBC HD, watch for about 45 mins then the loader kicks in. I have not noticed it as much on ITV1 HD. I am at latest firmware, and it has been solid since I upgraded back in January. Have I got a problem, or have others experinced this

Yep, mine does the same on BBCHD, last night Springwatch turned into Painwatch. I'll see how it goes over the next week or 3. btw I always switch off everything at the mains switch each night... may be I shouldn't be so green :D

bt2ndw RealDigital seems to have screwed up yet again... May 2010 launch is now 'later in 2010'. wtf?

twiddley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+ HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
steve46 said:
I'm having the same problems with my Passion.....seemed to have it sorted had to load up the September firmware now seems stable.

Just downgraded to September firware and now fine on BBCHD. So what has changed wiyth BBC HD since last week to upset the January firmware? I am happy, no restarts whilst wathching World Cup:)

Twazzack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IDDigital F-20E, 85cm dish 30E>18W, Skystar2. Fortec Star
My Location
N.E. Essex, UK
Gents - My Fortec is showing the same symptoms - "The OK light comes on when powered up - but it no longer boots". On whipping the lid off and checking the power supply - bingo! C201 which is 2200mf 10v in my case is just a little fatter (slightly bulging end) than the other caps surrounding it. Guess who's off to Maplins in a few minutes?
This thread could well have saved the planet from yet another black box being chucked out. I'll let you know how I get on!
Twazz

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well good luck - and let us know (if) it sorted your problem :)

Twazzack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E. Essex, UK
Tivù said:
Well good luck - and let us know (if) it sorted your problem :)

Thanks for that. I ended up fitting a 2200uF 16volt electrolytic capacitor. Couldn't get hold of a 10 volt version. 80p total outlay. (+ 4 miles fuel and a total of 1 hour for travel and fitting!)

Amazingly it darn well did the trick! Thanks guys - this thread heas definitely helped the planet today.

Now then - using a 16volt rather than 10volt cap....... Is that actually OK? Have I introduced increased risk or strain elswhere in the circuit?

All round good egg? Obviously an Italian expression! :-)

Cheers
Twazz

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
16V is fine - slightly overspecified but with no detrimental side effects. It's just the "working voltage" it has to withstand.

On the other matter, I got bored with Tout Rond Bon Oeuf ........................

But well done on a simple, cheap and effective repair :)

Twazzack

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N.E. Essex, UK
Tivù said:
16V is fine - slightly overspecified but with no detrimental side effects. It's just the "working voltage" it has to withstand.

On the other matter, I got bored with Tout Rond Bon Oeuf ........................

But well done on a simple, cheap and effective repair :)

Cheers you are definitely : круглый молодчина

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
twazzack said:
cheers you are definitely : круглый молодчина

Sir, you are clearly a man of discernment and good taste :D

jon5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HD Fortec Passion into HD optimax projector and LG surround sysytem
My Location
bristol
Mine had the same problem with the blue light showing but nothing else ( I wonder if the recent heatwave has made the components fail ? ). through the forums advice I also noted that C201 on the power supply pcb was also swollen. And as with other members, this has now been changed ( 2200uF 16volt ) from Maplins. All seemed to be great when first powering up , with the loader sign now appearing on the display. However , this then disappeared and cycles and comes back on again in an everending loop.. any ideas of what i should do next? thanks

jon5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HD Fortec Passion into HD optimax projector and LG surround sysytem
My Location
bristol
Just an update, good and bad. managed to get box up and running ok after reload of software, however after switching it back on again 15 mins later, its now completed dead, no blue light, just a faint ticking sound coming from the PS. I,ve checked all the solder joints and they seem ok.:confused

leomax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star with motorised moving dish, laptop runnig vista
My Location
Kent
I would like to thank all those people who helped solve my problem with their knowledge, My Fortec Star packed up as previously encountered by others out there. Just the blue light on and no display, I read the suggestions and found the C201 capacitor on the power circuit board and yes it was bulging, I went to Map---s (full name witheld, don't want to advertise) and purchased item No VH54J 2200 uf 16v capacitor cost 80 pence and installed it today and my system is now working again. Also I noted another comment by someone that this capacitor (C201) blowing might be caused by heat sinks either side of it keeping it hot, so my replcement is now wired in using extended wires soldered into the circuit board and the capacitor soldered to these wires, this has allowed me to anchor the new capacitor to a plastic block that I have secured between the two circuit boards which allows the passage of free cool air around it. Once again thanks to everyone out there, One system saved ,cost 80 pence and a bigger saving to the enviroment. Cheers Eric

pmadeley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat, Fortec Star Passion+, Acer Aspire 5920
My Location
Manchester
Hello everyone,

Sadly I have to report I've suffered the same problem - switched the box on and the blue circle is lit up but there's no display, so it looks like I'm stuck without any live television for the foreseeable future. I'm gutted to be honest - I blame this heatwave! Also the picture has been flickering for a few days on and off, I wonder whether that was something to do with it.

I can see from this thread what I need to do, but I've got no experience of replacing components, I don't own a soldering iron and haven't used one since my school days... what should I do? Are there shops who can do these small jobs for reasonable prices? Is it worth taking the box down to Maplins? I bought it last April, so it's been 16 months since purchase.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

pmadeley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
pmadeley said:
Hello everyone,

Sadly I have to report I've suffered the same problem - switched the box on and the blue circle is lit up but there's no display, so it looks like I'm stuck without any live television for the foreseeable future. I'm gutted to be honest - I blame this heatwave! Also the picture has been flickering for a few days on and off, I wonder whether that was something to do with it.

I can see from this thread what I need to do, but I've got no experience of replacing components, I don't own a soldering iron and haven't used one since my school days... what should I do? Are there shops who can do these small jobs for reasonable prices? Is it worth taking the box down to Maplins? I bought it last April, so it's been 16 months since purchase.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Well, despite the lack of replies, I managed to get it fixed. Ordered the 3300uf 10V capacitor from an eBay merchant and found a laptop repair shop in town who fixed it for a tenner. Box back up and running. Thanks to those who identified the problem - I wouldn't have been able to fix it without you!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That's great news - and thankyou for feeding the outcome back to the Forum.

At least the next person with that problem who comes looking for help will have more info!

carlos65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion plus, Sky, Win XP
My Location
Merseyside
Well my box seems to have gone the same way. I'll get the lid off for a look-see. Not sure I fancy a go at soldering but checking out local repair shops might be a good idea

carlos65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion plus, Sky, Win XP
My Location
Merseyside
I've located what i assume to be the capacitor, C201, 3300uF between two heatsinks. The top seems to be slightly bulged with a dark bit in the middle of the mercedes star-like section. Is it soldered from the underside of the board?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes, soldered underneath. Replace or find a repairshop to do it.

pmadeley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Why do some models have 2200uf capacitors and others have 3300uf? I'm guessing mine and carlos65's was a newer build of the Passion+?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Don't know which came first, but I have the one with the 2200uF caps. No problem so far, but my box has only intermittent use.

The two power supplies are probably sourced from different manufacturers; obviously both are not up to the job over time considering the tales of woe posted in this thread.

pmadeley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
It wouldn't be so bad if it was the only problem with the box, but it's full of flaws e.g. the box rebooting whenever I watch HD for more than a few minutes... it's a good thing I don't have a HD television really... they don't seem to have fixed that particular problem yet...