Is this a good deal ?? ££

F

fleegle

Hi all,
I recently saw a motorised dish on a house not far away. It belongs to the previous occupant and the new occupant doesnt use it and the receiver is no longer their. The dish looks to be 1m and is complete with lnb,positioner (motor,screwjack type) ,wall brackets etc,,fed with 4 conductor cable. The lnb is the type that is mounted on a three legged tripod type design with the lnb obviously at the central focus of the dish. The spec is unknown. Could this be a good buy at £40 ??Are LNB;s/screwjacks usually easily interchangeable?.I wouldnt want a hybrid that i couldnt get bits for if i bought it and found some bu#its faulty..
joe

M

mrmack

>Hi all,
>I recently saw a motorised dish
>on a house not far
>away. It belongs to the
>previous occupant and the new
>occupant doesnt use it and
>the receiver is no longer
>their. The dish looks to
>be 1m and is complete
>with lnb,positioner (motor,screwjack type) ,wall
>brackets etc,,fed with 4 conductor
>cable. The lnb is the
>type that is mounted on
>a three legged tripod type
>design with the lnb obviously
>at the central focus of
>the dish. The spec is
>unknown. Could this be a
>good buy at £40 ??Are
>LNB;s/screwjacks usually easily interchangeable?.I wouldnt
>want a hybrid that i
>couldnt get bits for if
>i bought it and found
>some bu#its faulty..
>joe

M

mrmack

No No No
The neighbor should pay you £40.00 to take it down. Obviously the previous owner did not value the dish etc. as it would no longer be there. By all means take it as a gift and then come back with all information and we can then decide what to do with it.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Completely disagree.
But maybe it depends on which part of the world you're in.
Where I am, you won't even get a set of mounting brackets for GBP 40 let alone an entire system.
I'd be round in a flash to hand over the cash...

2old

M

mrmack

Sorry 2Old,
but metal dishes that have been left to rust and brackets rusted solid LNBs.and actuators filled with moister or worse is what you are likely to find screwed to a wall. I beleive Freegle is new to satellite and his best bet is find a Sky installer who will supply what is needed with advice as he takes down and dumps many system like these per month.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 19-Dec-00 AT 07:41 PM (GMT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 19-Dec-00 AT 07:37 PM (GMT)[/font]

Wouldn't rely on the knowledge of the average Sky Installer, 3 days in a training course does not equip one with earth shattering knowledge. Wouldn't pay too much for it though, the actuator might not work. Also the dish may not be metal and probably isn't if it's the 1 metre size, some of these older dishes are of superb quality and i haven't found a Lnb yet that wasn't interchangeable in one way shape or form.

Rolf

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
What a waste. What a crying shame.
I've got a handy wire brush for cleaning the rust, a paintbrush for tarting it up and a local DIY store that sells new bolts.
And it's not as if you need a dish with the gain of the Hubble space telescope just to receive Astra & Hotbird...
Now I wonder if I could persuade one of these Sky installers to drive a vanload of his throw-aways across to me in Holland...?
2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In a previous incarnation as a Sky installer I was give so many "old systems" one of which was a motorised 1 metre dish Chaparral monterey 40. Plus a number of pace twin dish units. All found very good new homes.

Rolf

M

mrmack

Fleegle perhaps you would be good enough to elucidate at to what stage you are at with the system. Suspense is getting to much :)