Kindle Paperwhite RIP

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
My Paperwhite (bought January 2013) has just given up the ghost. It froze last night while I was trying to search for something in the store, I've forced a reboot and now it won't go further than the person-reading-book-under-tree screen, backlight off and no progress indicator. I've fully charged the battery, no dice. When I plug it into the computer the computer sees the Kindle as a drive but can't access it. So - it's out of guarantee and is bricked. Two years down the track and the price is *exactly* the same, I'm loathe to fork out 129EUR again. If I were a VS I'd probably crack it open and start replacing components, but I have neither the skills nor the time, nor am I sure what component is toast. If it's the motherboard I can imagine it'll cost as much as the whole unit :(

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Is yours British or French registered? If you've forced a reboot and it's Brit registered could it possibly now be caught in some kind of conflict?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Is yours British or French registered? If you've forced a reboot and it's Brit registered could it possibly now be caught in some kind of conflict?
Er, good thinking, hadn't thought of that... Is French-registered though. I'm tempted to get out my diagnostic hammer already rather than lose any more time to it.

Zimmerframe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM motorised, 1.8m CM not installed, Et9000 receiver
My Location
Ireland
I presume you have tried holding down the power button for 20 to 30 seconds.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
My Paperwhite (bought January 2013) has just given up the ghost. It froze last night while I was trying to search for something in the store

Come on HB, it was trying to download '50 Shades Of Grey' that did it....

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I managed to get the data off a Kindle light a few weeks ago - another thread.

But if you can let the battery die down naturally (it might take a couple of weeks/months) you should be able to disable the wireless once you connect the power supply.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
I managed to get the data off a Kindle light a few weeks ago - another thread.

But if you can let the battery die down naturally (it might take a couple of weeks/months) you should be able to disable the wireless once you connect the power supply.
I don't have any data on it as such; I can always stick the books on another device. There is a Kindle app for android which works but you lose the advantage of the e-ink screen, portability and battery life.

I suppose I'll have to try letting the power run down but with the backlight off that could take a considerable amount of time :(

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Despite the current furore (about Amazon Prime), Amazon's Customer Service is generally pretty good - I wonder if, even though the device is out of Warranty, they might do something for you? Free repair/Discount on a replacement?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Despite the current furore (about Amazon Prime), Amazon's Customer Service is generally pretty good - I wonder if, even though the device is out of Warranty, they might do something for you? Free repair/Discount on a replacement?
You're right, of course - it's worth a crack. I have nothing to lose but my cool :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
You're right, of course - it's worth a crack. I have nothing to lose but my cool :)
tried - failed. They offered me a replacement for 99EUR (normal price 129EUR) + fees (whatever that means). I'll spare you the long (French) transcript but I politely declined. If I buy a new ereader it won't be a Kindle - buying equipment that costs that much (or more :) ) doesn't bother me but am not going to replace it every 2 years. That would quickly eat up the minimal savings from buying Kindle versions of books.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Quelle fromage :(

I use Overdrive for Library Books and Kindle App. for other stuff, on my Tablet.

Battery life is not really a problem with a decent Battery Manager. I get around 22hrs per charge.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Quelle fromage :(
I use Overdrive for Library Books and Kindle App. for other stuff, on my Tablet.
Battery life is not really a problem with a decent Battery Manager. I get around 22hrs per charge.
Yeah, that's the thing. The Kindle lasts *weeks* without recharging and I'm even comfortable reading it on the beach. A tablet screen is illegible in bright sunlight.

Technically the Paperwhite is great (well - mine was until it died) but if I was a bit put off by the original asking price (and the 3G version was and still is even more expensive), am certainly not going to throw good money after bad in buying it a second time.

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
we have a bookcase dont have to switchit on

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.