Newbie Here MultiSat / SingleDish / MultiRoom ?!?!

jonmknight

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
n/a
My Location
northants
Hi, newbie here..

Not a clue where to start - appologies in advance as I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I'm getting confused with the terminolgy and not sure what I should be looking for. Switches, Diseqc, Diplexers, LNB, Quattro LNB's - all very confusing.

Essentially I'm after a multi-sat system, on a single dish, that will allow me to feed into multiple rooms in my house.

I want to pick up 13E 19.2E and 28.2E using a single dish.
I want to feed into 4 rooms in my house
I want each room to have a single feed into a reciever

I don't intend to use the feed for DAB or any other digital signal - I'm purely after the 3 above sat's.

Could somebody point me in the direction of kit I'd need to achieve this please, and ideally, if someone has the time a simple diagram / explanation of how they all fit together?

Appologies again

jonmknight

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
n/a
My Location
northants
OK, done a tiny bit of research, seems that DiSeqc and Multiswitches can't be paired.. I can only use a Multiswitch & Quattro for single LNB (Sat).... So am I correct in thinking that to achieve what I'm after I'd need the below:

Single Dish (Will an 80cm dish do?)
Arm with adapter / brackets for 3 LNB's (Below)
3x Quad LNB's (one for each of: 13, 19.2, 28.2)
3x 4port Diseqc switches (one for each room)
a reciever in each room configured for a 3-sat Diseqc system
+ a shedload of messy cable on the outside of my house!

Is that right?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You need quad LNBs for each satellite you want to receive and four DiSEqC switches for each room. Each receiver will then have full control of its own switch and satellite selection.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
That will work, but you shouldn't have a lot of messy cables, just 4 cables, 1 to each room.
Each quad LNB will be the same, 1 cable, from each quad LNB, to a Diseqc switch, 4 cables in, 1 cable out, which will then be sent to one of the rooms.
You might want to consider using Octo LNB's, and 8 to 1 Diseqc switches, in case you want to eventually be able to record 1 channel, and view others, at the same time, so at least 2 cables, to each room, or a more complex distribution system, using Quattro LNB's and a distribution system, possibly in the attic, but you might want a professional installer, to do that.
You might also consider a 90cm wave frontier toroidal dish, which is designed for multiple LNB's, and satellites, in case you want to add more LNB's in the future, depending on your budget.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
DiSeqc and multiswitches are compatible. You need a multiswitch with 16 inputs (for four satellites - I don't think there is a 3 satellite option) and three Quattro LNBs. Four cables from each LNB to the multiswitch inputs. I would put the 28E position as first satellite so that $ly's offerings will work. Then choose the multiswitch with the required number of outputs. I would caution against underestimating the number that you will need!

Some notes:

Some makes of multiswitch will work with quad LNBs but all will work with quattros.
You probably won't find a 16 input multiswitch as all seem to have an extra input (or more) for TV/FM/DAB. Just ignore this.
If you choose your satellite receivers with built-in DiSeqc capability they will be able to sort out the choice of satellite themselves from the single output in each room.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Last edited by a moderator:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks Dave for the info.

Slight problem with your link(s) though. Practically all your message is just one link.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I'll second the suggestion of a T90. Once it's set up it's trivial to add new LNBs. The only problem is it's *too* easy and you'll find yourself adding LNBs until you physically run out of space... :) (I have 16...)

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
I want each room to have a single feed into a reciever
Are you sure you'll never have the need to record one channel while watching another?
Why not lay two cables for each room while you're at it? And choose a multiswitch accordingly.
Edit: And if Sky's boxes can't handle disecq, at some point you might need two receivers.

Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Are you sure you'll never have the need to record one channel while watching another?
Why not lay two cables for each room while you're at it? And choose a multiswitch accordingly.
I quite agree.

Edit: And if Sky's boxes can't handle disecq, at some point you might need two receivers.
Which is why I suggested making 28E the default Sat 1 on the multiswitch.

jonmknight

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
n/a
My Location
northants
Thanks for all of your replies. Quite overwhelmed actually, wasn't expecting such a positive response - huge thanks.

I think multiswitches are probably a step too far for self-install right now, want to try to keep it reasonably simple for a first time install.

I honestly hadn't considered the record one channel whilst watching another; huge oversight on my part. Ta for pointing that out!

I'm now thinking of an Octa LNB for my 28.2 seeing as I'd only ever be recording stuff from UK FTA / $ly. I've got 3 rooms to feed to - soooooooo .. one feed into each room directly from the 28.2 LNB, and another coming in via Disecq (where 28.2 is also present, along with 13 & 19).

Question 1: I'd like to keep the dish as small as possible purely for cosmetic reasons - what's the smallest I could get away with with a 13/19/28 setup? I'm Northamptonshire (East Anglia / Midlands) - and any recommendations other than the T90?

Question 2: I really like the look of the Vu+ Duo, are there any other dual input Engima2 based STB's that are worth considering which support images like Vix / Blackhole?

edit: Holy Sh*t - that Wavefrontier T90 looks sexy.

Last edited:

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Xtrend boxes see good support mate, a modded $ky Zone 2 dish or a 80cm dish would do the spread your after.

Sent from my T5 using Tapatalk

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Question 2: I really like the look of the Vu+ Duo, are there any other dual input Engima2 based STB's that are worth considering which support images like Vix / Blackhole?
Solo2 :) Is what I have, flashed with Openvix. Is (at the time of writing!) is the latest generation, there is also a Duo2 that has 4 tuners. I'm very happy with the Solo2, but of course if you want Sky HD you'll need a Sky receiver.

edit: Holy Sh*t - that Wavefrontier T90 looks sexy.
Most people think it's fugly, I love mine, my wife hates it :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I, like most people, think it's an ugly duckling but you can't deny its efficiency and practicality (one that would suit @Analoguesat well but he prefers rescue dishes and tyres).