E

Edgeyboy

My Satellite Setup
Sky Q
My Location
Cambridgeshire
Hi,

First post...

I am helping a friend who is building his own which is near to completion, on the data (all sorted) and TV / satellite distribution system.

There are 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, living room and summer house (6 rooms total) to feed with TV/Freesat. The living room may have a SKY Q box in the future too so has been wired with an extra two CT100 cables. All six rooms have been wired with 2 no CT100/WF100.

I have been recommended the following products for the commissioning stage of the install:

Terrestial TV Aerial

60cm or 80cm Satellite Dish with Quattro LNB

2 way Vision dscr multiswitch + PS

12 way Vision multiswitch + PS

As I understand it, it will work as follows:

Outputs from the Quattro LNB feed into Vision DSCR cascade multiswitch. 2 outputs to SKY Q in living room. 4 outputs then feed to Vision 12 output multiswitch which supplies the 6 rooms (2 each: one satellite, one terrestrial tv).

Does this sound ok?

Thank you for any input.

Tom

Last edited:
Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I would stick a hybrid LNB outside, run all six cables into the point where all cables get sent out and use a distribution switch with fixed four port voltage/22kHz settings.

But the choice is yours.

E

Edgeyboy

My Satellite Setup
Sky Q
My Location
Cambridgeshire
I would stick a hybrid LNB outside, run all six cables into the point where all cables get sent out and use a distribution switch with fixed four port voltage/22kHz settings.

But the choice is yours.
Thank you. Would you be able to expand on which switch might be good? Originally we were going to use a Delta 16 port switch (and send Sky Q straight to wall points bypassing this) but I was told that the solution I listed was more robust and better at long cable runs. Thanks agin

Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It's been a while since I installed one, but Spaun always had indivdual settings for their SMATV boxes, allowing a quad LNB to be installed without trouble.

Others off the top of my head would be Fracarro Switchline (ex Philips) and Triax (via Farnell)

I have a delta 8 way unit lying in the shed, and I think it also had dedicated 14/18/22k on each port, but would need to look at the specifications

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would use dish with Quattro, an 8 way multiswitch and four universal outputs from that feeding into a Triax TMDS 42c, that would give you 6 legacy feeds with Terrestrial and 2 dSCR/Legacy feeds with Terrestrial for the lounge.

Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If there are already dedicated Q cables run I couldn't justify the the money on legacy equipment when terrestrial is catered for in the main amplifier.
(but I would need to check pricing to be sure)

Since the Q system is only good for three points please let your friend know this should be treated strictly as secondary.

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have to say that if I were installing the system, my recommendation would be a Terrestrial feed to all rooms and a pair of wideband feeds plus a Terrestrial feed to the living room, unless of course the customer already had a Sky HD system that he wanted to maintain, or already owned Freesat PVRs, otherwise as Channel Hopper says above, the Legacy multiswitch and equally the dSCR is an unnecessary expense.

D

davemurgtroyd

My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
If there are already dedicated Q cables run I couldn't justify the the money on legacy equipment when terrestrial is catered for in the main amplifier.
(but I would need to check pricing to be sure)

Since the Q system is only good for three points please let your friend know this should be treated strictly as secondary.
Q I believe caters for up to 5 points but only 3 can be used at any one time.

Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Which means for the 2.4 kids and poodle family, its a three point system.