Edgeyboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q
My Location
Cambridgeshire
Hi,

First post...

I am helping a friend who is building his own which is near to completion, on the data (all sorted) and TV / satellite distribution system.

There are 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, living room and summer house (6 rooms total) to feed with TV/Freesat. The living room may have a SKY Q box in the future too so has been wired with an extra two CT100 cables. All six rooms have been wired with 2 no CT100/WF100.

I have been recommended the following products for the commissioning stage of the install:

Terrestial TV Aerial

60cm or 80cm Satellite Dish with Quattro LNB

2 way Vision dscr multiswitch + PS

12 way Vision multiswitch + PS

As I understand it, it will work as follows:

Outputs from the Quattro LNB feed into Vision DSCR cascade multiswitch. 2 outputs to SKY Q in living room. 4 outputs then feed to Vision 12 output multiswitch which supplies the 6 rooms (2 each: one satellite, one terrestrial tv).

Does this sound ok?

Thank you for any input.

Tom

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I would stick a hybrid LNB outside, run all six cables into the point where all cables get sent out and use a distribution switch with fixed four port voltage/22kHz settings.

But the choice is yours.

Edgeyboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q
My Location
Cambridgeshire
I would stick a hybrid LNB outside, run all six cables into the point where all cables get sent out and use a distribution switch with fixed four port voltage/22kHz settings.

But the choice is yours.

Thank you. Would you be able to expand on which switch might be good? Originally we were going to use a Delta 16 port switch (and send Sky Q straight to wall points bypassing this) but I was told that the solution I listed was more robust and better at long cable runs. Thanks agin

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It's been a while since I installed one, but Spaun always had indivdual settings for their SMATV boxes, allowing a quad LNB to be installed without trouble.

Others off the top of my head would be Fracarro Switchline (ex Philips) and Triax (via Farnell)

I have a delta 8 way unit lying in the shed, and I think it also had dedicated 14/18/22k on each port, but would need to look at the specifications

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would use dish with Quattro, an 8 way multiswitch and four universal outputs from that feeding into a Triax TMDS 42c, that would give you 6 legacy feeds with Terrestrial and 2 dSCR/Legacy feeds with Terrestrial for the lounge.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If there are already dedicated Q cables run I couldn't justify the the money on legacy equipment when terrestrial is catered for in the main amplifier.
(but I would need to check pricing to be sure)

Since the Q system is only good for three points please let your friend know this should be treated strictly as secondary.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have to say that if I were installing the system, my recommendation would be a Terrestrial feed to all rooms and a pair of wideband feeds plus a Terrestrial feed to the living room, unless of course the customer already had a Sky HD system that he wanted to maintain, or already owned Freesat PVRs, otherwise as Channel Hopper says above, the Legacy multiswitch and equally the dSCR is an unnecessary expense.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
If there are already dedicated Q cables run I couldn't justify the the money on legacy equipment when terrestrial is catered for in the main amplifier.
(but I would need to check pricing to be sure)

Since the Q system is only good for three points please let your friend know this should be treated strictly as secondary.
Q I believe caters for up to 5 points but only 3 can be used at any one time.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Which means for the 2.4 kids and poodle family, its a three point system.