NIT and constellation

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Who's using a meter with NIT. I haven't got NIT on either of my meters but never have trouble identifying a satellite. How much of a bonus is NIT.

Also how useful is a constellation diagram? And how is it read? What do you look for?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
NIT can be a useful tool for identification... but, only one of my older meters actually had this function :D

A constellation diagram will display the gain and phase of each bit in the stream of freq your measuring. Errors refer to points seen straying into areas occupied by other points (easily identifiable). Again, never really used it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
NIT is invaluable if you do installations for more than just the three or four common satellites, or motorised systems. My little Satlook NIT has saved me so much time over the years and I won't contemplate getting rid of it until my present meter gets an NIT software update. Many of the meter manufacturers rely on the slow and unreliable transponder comparison method of satellite identification, it's about time they woke up.

Constellation can be useful, but personally I have hardly ever used it nor found a serious need for it.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
satelliteman said:
Errors refer to points seen straying into areas occupied by other points (easily identifiable). Again, never really used it.
How do you know what it is supposed to look like? Can you elaborate a bit more? I've read up a bit on this but I can't find a good explanation in layman's language.

rolfw said:
My little Satlook NIT has saved me so much time over the years
How do you mean it has saved you time? Do you mean because it doesn't cross identify? I've got a Satcatcher and that doesn't have NIT, but I can switch to the TV picture to confirm what I'm pointing at. Is NIT quick than this, or is it instant as soon as you align with the satellite it signal that in some way? On your NIT do you ever use the TV picture? Or do you think the new Micro would be fine? Oh, and a couple of other things, how sensitive is the tuner in those meters, and, can new transponders be added via the keypad or is a computer necessary?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With the best will in the world I can't tell you whether NIT will be as useful to you as it is to me, you'll have to make your own decision on that. Bear in mind that not every satellite has FTA channels to use as a guide (some don't have TV channels at all) and it isn't always easy to cross check with the computer to check channels and frequencies on satellites.

No idea about the new Micro I'm afraid, haven't used it and don't know whether you can add transponders, I've certainly never added transponder to my Digital NIT, as with NIT I don't need them, I pick a peak on the spectrum and check it.

Wouldn't say that the tuner on the Digital NIT is the most sensitive in the world and it may not be the same tuner as the Micro anyway.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
How do you mean it has saved you time? Do you mean because it doesn't cross identify?

With the Satlook, the name of the satellite will often appear when you have the dish peaked, and you can interrogate a particular frequency that is in the spectrum, and it will show a list of TV or radio channels by name.

A very good piece of kit for the money (well mine was until I blew it up).

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
How do you know what it is supposed to look like? Can you elaborate a bit more? I've read up a bit on this but I can't find a good explanation in layman's language.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-shift_keying

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Rolf,

On 28E does the meter recognise all 4 satellites individually? And can you choose the polarisation that it is working with?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can't remember what it reads on the different satellites in the group, it may just say Astra2 or 28.2 East (it will read what the broadcaster puts in the table), will check when I get a chance, but that is something you can determine by the frequencies, as they are listed by satellite on Lyngsat.

Polarisation and 22Khz is switchable by pressing two buttons, there is no auto channel plan on the Satlook NIT, and in fact I prefer to switch manually as you can define easily which trace you are looking for.:)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
The NIT Network ID only gives you the basic satellite name and orbital position.

For the Astra 28.2 cluster -

Attachments

• Capture_08112009_141848.jpg
    Capture_08112009_141848.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 50

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:
Can't remember what it reads on the different satellites in the group, it may just say Astra2 or 28.2 East (it will read what the broadcaster puts in the table)
I think we are at cross purposes. I'm so used to using my meters that I'm thinking all work the same. On mine I just pick a preprogrammed transponder from the memory. Am I right in thinking that instead of selecting a transponder from the memory that you choose a frequency, voltage and tone to make the transponder on the fly? If so this sounds much more flexible.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Not sure I understand your question, with the NIT you have the choice of pre-programmed, or select any part of the satellite output by the live scan.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Channel Hopper said:
Not sure I understand your question, with the NIT you have the choice of pre-programmed, or select any part of the satellite output by the live scan.
On my meters to use the meter I have to choose a preprogrammed transponder from the memory. What I am asking is if this is different with the Satlook micro. I think with that meter you just choose a frequency (using the control knob rather than a keypad), polarisation and hi/lo. I've tried finding out from the manual but it is pigeon so it is hard to tell

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You can do both as mentioned previously