Passion+ and BBC 1 HD

The Wander

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
Vistron 42" HD
My Location
West Country
Sorry for the long post but just thought I would pop by and update everyone on the state of play with Passion+ firmware and the BBC 1 HD upgrade.

A couple of weeks ago I contacted Fortec Star tech support about the changes to Freesat listings and very quickly got a reply with a new (version 1.3.0) firmware update to try.
Installing this update however did not resolve the BBC 1 HD channel changes and I wrote back to tech support listing the requirements for the new revised channels and the appropriate channel numbers. So far I have not received a reply or an updated firmware version.

For anyone else having problems receiving the new BBC 1 HD channels and after reading the very helpful replies on this forum to others I thought it might be useful to provide a guide for others.

During my struggles in receiving the new BBC 1 HD channel I found 3 ways to ‘update’ the channel listings to receive the revised channels, 1 hard, 1 better and an easy way, however all the ways suffer from one defect, it seems impossible to change the allocated channel number listed in the EPG guide and I ended up with multiple channels using the same number.

The hard and better ways rely on downloading the SetEditPassion utility to edit the channel lists from the Passion+.
Just a note about this software, on the download site it does ask you to pay for the software, what it does not say is the software will edit up to 20 channels without payment but you will get a countdown timer that gets longer each time you start the software as a sort of ‘Nag Screen’.

1. The hard way uses an RS232 null modem cable to download and upload the channel list to/from the Passion+, only do it this way if you know how to use RS232 communication software and cables.

2. The better way, save your channel list to a flash drive via the USB socket on the Passion+, put the flash drive in a laptop (or PC) preloaded with the SetEditPassion software. Use the software to edit the channel list, adding the changes, save the new revised list back to the flash drive and upload it back to the Passion+
Both these ways using the SetEditPassion software will list the channels in the correct order but you may end up like me with multiple channels using the same EPG channel number.

3. The easy way, on the Passion+ remote, press ‘Menu’, select ‘Manual Scan’, press (OK), you should have Astra 2A listed as the satellite, select TP frequency. And use the left/right then up down arrow keys to select 10847 V 22000 and press (OK).
Now just select ‘Start Scan’ and BBC 1 HD should pop up, save your settings and you should now have BBC 1 HD listed on some weird channel (mine is number 5204).

You can also do the same for 10803 H 22000 to bring back BBC FOUR on channel 5205 and 12643 H 27500 to add Luxury Life HD (this was a new channel listed in the version 1.3.0 firmware, mostly adverts but can have the odd good program).

Once found and listed you can use the channel editor software in the Passion+ to move the channels to better locations, but so far I have not found a way of changing the EPG channel number listings.

As someone else said ‘If only Fortec Star would provide a channel editor we can use to edit our own channel lists’, and if it would also allow the changing of the EPG channel numbers, it would solve this saga once and for all (and no firmware updates unless needed).

If anyone would like the full channel VID, PID's etc for the channels to put in the SetEditPassion list then leave a note and I will post them up for everyone.

Regards, TW.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
The Wander said:
Sorry for the long post but just thought I would pop by and update everyone on the state of play with Passion+ firmware and the BBC 1 HD upgrade.

A couple of weeks ago I contacted Fortec Star tech support about the changes to Freesat listings and very quickly got a reply with a new (version 1.3.0) firmware update to try.
Installing this update however did not resolve the BBC 1 HD channel changes and I wrote back to tech support listing the requirements for the new revised channels and the appropriate channel numbers. So far I have not received a reply or an updated firmware version.

For anyone else having problems receiving the new BBC 1 HD channels and after reading the very helpful replies on this forum to others I thought it might be useful to provide a guide for others.

During my struggles in receiving the new BBC 1 HD channel I found 3 ways to ‘update’ the channel listings to receive the revised channels, 1 hard, 1 better and an easy way, however all the ways suffer from one defect, it seems impossible to change the allocated channel number listed in the EPG guide and I ended up with multiple channels using the same number.

The hard and better ways rely on downloading the SetEditPassion utility to edit the channel lists from the Passion+.
Just a note about this software, on the download site it does ask you to pay for the software, what it does not say is the software will edit up to 20 channels without payment but you will get a countdown timer that gets longer each time you start the software as a sort of ‘Nag Screen’.

1. The hard way uses an RS232 null modem cable to download and upload the channel list to/from the Passion+, only do it this way if you know how to use RS232 communication software and cables.

2. The better way, save your channel list to a flash drive via the USB socket on the Passion+, put the flash drive in a laptop (or PC) preloaded with the SetEditPassion software. Use the software to edit the channel list, adding the changes, save the new revised list back to the flash drive and upload it back to the Passion+
Both these ways using the SetEditPassion software will list the channels in the correct order but you may end up like me with multiple channels using the same EPG channel number.

3. The easy way, on the Passion+ remote, press ‘Menu’, select ‘Manual Scan’, press (OK), you should have Astra 2A listed as the satellite, select TP frequency. And use the left/right then up down arrow keys to select 10847 V 22000 and press (OK).
Now just select ‘Start Scan’ and BBC 1 HD should pop up, save your settings and you should now have BBC 1 HD listed on some weird channel (mine is number 5204).

You can also do the same for 10803 H 22000 to bring back BBC FOUR on channel 5205 and 12643 H 27500 to add Luxury Life HD (this was a new channel listed in the version 1.3.0 firmware, mostly adverts but can have the odd good program).

Once found and listed you can use the channel editor software in the Passion+ to move the channels to better locations, but so far I have not found a way of changing the EPG channel number listings.

As someone else said ‘If only Fortec Star would provide a channel editor we can use to edit our own channel lists’, and if it would also allow the changing of the EPG channel numbers, it would solve this saga once and for all (and no firmware updates unless needed).

If anyone would like the full channel VID, PID's etc for the channels to put in the SetEditPassion list then leave a note and I will post them up for everyone.

Regards, TW.
The same happened to me.and grateful I am not alone and like yourself am stuck with channel numbers that don't follow in sequence,not holding my breath for a rapid response from Fortec as they take forever to get round to any updates,will just have to visit their site regularly and see if they get their act together quickly

briangw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1000
Samsung 40" TV
FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
Switch Logical Channel Number to OFF

The Wander

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
Vistron 42" HD
My Location
West Country
briangw said:
Switch Logical Channel Number to OFF

Thanks, briangw I was aware of this and tried it, but (there is always a but), I have this ingrained channel number sequence in my head that channels beginning 101 equals entertainment, beginning 200 for news and 300 for films and turning that off messes up the whole damn thing.

I could still use Favourites menus but that to me is extra button presses, I know lazy *%$, but I guess I’m a numbers person.

Just wish Fortec would get on and update the firmware with the new lists, or better yet give us all a simple way of doing it ourselves.

Regards, TW.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Wander said:
Just wish Fortec would get on and update the firmware with the new lists, or better yet give us all a simple way of doing it ourselves.

Fortec are not known for their customer support - up until recently they have had a very poor reputation for dropping support of new models after a couple of years..... Hopefully things have changed now they have gone a bit more mainstream.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
If you can forgive the patchy support from Fortecstar, their receivers from day one have always been very good regarding the hardware used. Adopting STi CPU's in the early receivers gave us loads of fun patching them up for the pay stuff.

When the Passion HD appeared, here on the Forum we managed to open up ITV HD after some brainstorming, as unlike most other receivers at the time the PIDS could be changed (basically, the correct transmitted ones were 'hidden' to prevent Sky HD receivers from parsing them.)

Oh, and the Passion was the first non-Freesat model to give us a full 7-day EPG for the Sky channels...

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
I posted in another thread my reply from Fortec on this and it appears they are about to release a update for this issue,need to check their website now an then to check if released