Poor picture quality with Sky+

Hawkes

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a better telly (Panasonic TX36PD30) and the Sky+ picture looks quite poor. It flickers noticably and is a little fuzzy. I'm using RGB and a decent scart cable.

I looked at the signal strength and quality bars in setup. Strength is almost full but signal quality is less than half on both inputs. Should the signal quality be better than this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Do I need to get my dish realigned?

Thanks

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
For a test if you set the sky box to PAL rather than RGB does the flicker and fuzziness go?

Also how many scart sockets does the TV have and which one is the Sky+ box on?

Signal quality of less than half is not particularly good, but a poor satellite signal would not cause the problems you have.

Hawkes

Reaction score
Nah, it's the same on PAL or RGB.

The TV has 4 scart sockets. I've tried 1 and 4 (both of which are RGB enabled) and it's the same.

Nice to know it's not the signal quality. I'm starting to think it's the TV so I've called an engineer out. Thanks!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You'll have to try substitution. Try your box on another TV (which you already have I suppose), preferably a good modern one,

Next, try another digibox on your TV. It doesn't have to be a plusbox just for the test but if you could get one more of each it would help. I would also try a different scart cable. You say it's a good one but can you be sure?

I would think that the answer will surface somewhere along the way.

PaulR

keith mawer

Reaction score
excuse me to ask a silly question!! did you have your sky+ fitted by a professional ..I have a toshiba tv with 3 scarts... (dvd +video+sky+pace(drives motor dish) and a humax .. and all connected via scarts... on the sky + if you press your tv channel say to number 7 or whatever its tuned to then press ya scart button on handset it usually shows better,,,

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A lot of people are finding that some Sky receivers do not work well with some of the 100 hz TVs, came across one the other day..