Power suplied died

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
My friends 5620 PS has died. AS far as I could see from visiting other forums this happens quite often when these boxes reach a certain age. :eek:
It also seems that the problem is that some of the capacitors give up. Spending 60 Euros for a replacement power unit when all the problem is due to some very cheap commonly available components seems not right to me.
My question is, has anyone gone and replaced the capacitors? Any useful information before I get the soldering iron out?

Cheers :confused

A nonymous

Reaction score
I've not done it on a Dreambox but i have repaired a friends Thomson Sky+ box.

Its still going fine after 12 months :D

Parts cost about £6 for it from Maplins. Can't see the 5620 being any different in all honesty.

:-beer

Nano

totalacedude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edit. 5620 several 500,'s (clones) vu duo blackhole pc server 95cms motorised dish blah blahh
My Location
crewe
hi.
yea ive done that!
all in if u get the parts from rs or farnell it will cost less than maplins
if ur lucky it will just be the caps, if ur unlucky the switch mode controller ic and proberbly the chopper might have gone!

if the 5620 is trying to power up ie not totally dead. then a cap bash in the psu will proberbly revive it!

when i bought mine from ebay it was not running!

i replaced caps (cap bashed ) the psu
but to give me reliability i did the whole main pcb to!
(about an hours job but totally worth it)
its like a new unit now and runs lots colder than 500's etc

i did that ages ago and it now sits at work either on or in standby 24/7 and has not missed a beat,i very much doubt that a 500 would last that long!
now thinking of putting pli jade on it ;)

ian