producing savable & playable files off the passion+

juclarie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dead Kathrein UFS910 can anyone fix??

Fortec Star Passion+
My Location
UK
For some years I have been collecting many HD transmissions that I wish to keep in their original format to play back at a later date. They are all stored on hard drives strewn around the home office. I needed to store these for future playback without losing quality.

So, after much research, I looked for a bluray player which was also able to play off a USB memory stick and play files within a container file. The container file most people use is MKV.

So I plumped for a cheapo Samsung bluray player with front USB playback off a memory stick with the promise of MKV support. I bought this from a mainstream UK seller (with stores in many towns) for around £80. I did this just incase it did not work :-ohcrap:-

Well, that was the hardware sorted for now. What I needed to do was to figure out the software. I was keeping in mind that I not only had Fortec Star files, but also .trp files from my old receiver. After looking into this, I downloaded a proggie called TS DOCTOR. This program seemed to be able to not only combine split flies, but also correct them in some way. During the trial, I used a Passion+ file which was in 3 segments. I combined them and *fixed* them (as the program would say). I need to say that the files were NOT transcoded in any way and as a result, the process was extremely fast.

So, transferring the completed .ts file to a really el cheapo USB memory stick, I plugged it into the Samsung USB Front Connector and waited. And waited, And... well you know...:confused

That method completely trashed, I suddenly thought, CONTAINER FILE, as in the Samsung spec. So on my PC, I changed the file extension to .MKV file and tried again. Woah, it worked:)

So now I'm busy taking all my old preserved .trp & .ts files and transferring them to standard DVD ROM discs so when I need to play them back in full HD, I just put then onto my USB stick and laugh all the way to bluray land...:cool:

Hope this gives some passion to other users