Advice Needed Professional sat meter

patobwex

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
installer
My Location
Ireland
Can anyone advise me on a good professional sat meter. I need to replace my broken Horizon meter and want to get something modern.
the prices I see vary from less than £100 to more that £1000 I bought a Sab in the past and it is useless ( a very expensive toy) it cost me €200-€300 so I dont want to waste my money again.
Regards
Pat

vma

Reaction score
Website
vma-satellite.blogspot.pt
My Satellite Setup
RX: 3 motorized DiSEqC-1.2 dishes (100cm, 110cm, 120cm) + 7 regular dishes.
Main receiver: Vu+ Duo + many others & IRD
TX: Modulators for DVB-S/C/T + Dektec Modulators
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
Hi,

Please let me correct you: professional meters cost 1.500-10.000 Euro!

If you want to go cheaper you can try to buy a second hand unit.

However, the correct device for you depends on what you want to do with it!

If you want to "just" install some satellite dishes on a fixed mount, this is one thing. Good affordable professional meters can be bought from PRIME DIGITAL. Like this one: PRIME DIGITAL SAT & TV INSTRUMENTS

If you want to carry out professional installation services for providers on CATV/Fibre/SAT networks, then you might need something quite more expensive. If you want to see what a top of the line device looks like: RANGERNeo 4: High class field strength meter and spectrum analyzer with 4K decoder | PROMAX Electronica

The common brands:

- Rover Instruments
- Prime Digital (Low Cost line of Rover Instruments - still great products)
- Promax
- KWS Electronics
- Sefram (Spaun uses/used Sefram as OEM)
- Kathrein (now using Rover Instruments as OEM)
- TELEVES (OEM is Sertel, which belongs to the same group)
- Rohde & Schwarz (uses Sertel as OEM on some products, other products are inhouse: best there is at really expensive prices, even second hand)
- Unaohm (not sure if they are still around)
- FTE (not sure if they still offer field meters)
- Deviser (have incredibly powerful field meter, the S7000 and S7200, but not very known outside China)
- Emitor (they stopped producing field meters)

I own devices from most of these brands, if you have specific questions, let me know.

Characteristics you need to consider on a PROFESSIONAL meter:

- Spectrum Analyzer: resolution and refresh rate
- Blind scan: can you just move the marker to a transponder on the spectrum and the device will automatically find out the modulation settings?
- Can it decode and render: MPEG2, MPEG4, .h265
- What modulators does it support: DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-C, DVB-C2, DVB-T, DVB-T2
- Do you need Constellation diagram?
- Do you need Echo measurements?
- Do you need modem capabilities (for IPTV and/or Internet)?
- Do you need other advanced measurements?

Personally, whenever I need to point a dish or setup a DiSEqC-1.2 Motor, I use my trusted Emitor Satlook Digital NIT or Satlook Digital Color. They have a great spectrum analyser built-in and support DiSEqC-1.0 and 1.2.

Can be bought cheaply second hand on eBay and the Satlook Digital NIT comes with a 12V Acid Lead battery, which can be replaced for 15 Euro.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Vitor

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Can anyone advise me on a good professional sat meter. I need to replace my broken Horizon meter and want to get something modern.
the prices I see vary from less than £100 to more that £1000 I bought a Sab in the past and it is useless ( a very expensive toy) it cost me €200-€300 so I dont want to waste my money again.
Regards
Pat

You didn't say that the Horizon meter you had was broken in the other thread.

What did you do to it ?

patobwex

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
installer
My Location
Ireland
You didn't say that the Horizon meter you had was broken in the other thread.

What did you do to it ?
The carry bag inverted while i was climbing onto a difficult roof and the meter slipped out and slid down the roof and onto a concrete path 2 stories below. C

patobwex

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
installer
My Location
Ireland
case and screen are in bits

patobwex

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
installer
My Location
Ireland
Hi,

Please let me correct you: professional meters cost 1.500-10.000 Euro!

If you want to go cheaper you can try to buy a second hand unit.

However, the correct device for you depends on what you want to do with it!

If you want to "just" install some satellite dishes on a fixed mount, this is one thing. Good affordable professional meters can be bought from PRIME DIGITAL. Like this one: PRIME DIGITAL SAT & TV INSTRUMENTS

If you want to carry out professional installation services for providers on CATV/Fibre/SAT networks, then you might need something quite more expensive. If you want to see what a top of the line device looks like: RANGERNeo 4: High class field strength meter and spectrum analyzer with 4K decoder | PROMAX Electronica

The common brands:

- Rover Instruments
- Prime Digital (Low Cost line of Rover Instruments - still great products)
- Promax
- KWS Electronics
- Sefram (Spaun uses/used Sefram as OEM)
- Kathrein (now using Rover Instruments as OEM)
- TELEVES (OEM is Sertel, which belongs to the same group)
- Rohde & Schwarz (uses Sertel as OEM on some products, other products are inhouse: best there is at really expensive prices, even second hand)
- Unaohm (not sure if they are still around)
- FTE (not sure if they still offer field meters)
- Deviser (have incredibly powerful field meter, the S7000 and S7200, but not very known outside China)
- Emitor (they stopped producing field meters)

I own devices from most of these brands, if you have specific questions, let me know.

Characteristics you need to consider on a PROFESSIONAL meter:

- Spectrum Analyzer: resolution and refresh rate
- Blind scan: can you just move the marker to a transponder on the spectrum and the device will automatically find out the modulation settings?
- Can it decode and render: MPEG2, MPEG4, .h265
- What modulators does it support: DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-C, DVB-C2, DVB-T, DVB-T2
- Do you need Constellation diagram?
- Do you need Echo measurements?
- Do you need modem capabilities (for IPTV and/or Internet)?
- Do you need other advanced measurements?

Personally, whenever I need to point a dish or setup a DiSEqC-1.2 Motor, I use my trusted Emitor Satlook Digital NIT or Satlook Digital Color. They have a great spectrum analyser built-in and support DiSEqC-1.0 and 1.2.

Can be bought cheaply second hand on eBay and the Satlook Digital NIT comes with a 12V Acid Lead battery, which can be replaced for 15 Euro.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Vitor
many thanks Vitor,
I do basic installs mainly for domestic properties, did work with Sky a few years back, and was using a Lacuna Meter for many years and after that a horizon, I was wanting to get a combined meter to use now for DVB-S and DVB-T and if possible cctv , most of my work is with Asrta 2 but I have done some hotbird and KA-Sat. I am looking for something modern but dont want break the bank.
Regards
Pat

vma

Reaction score
Website
vma-satellite.blogspot.pt
My Satellite Setup
RX: 3 motorized DiSEqC-1.2 dishes (100cm, 110cm, 120cm) + 7 regular dishes.
Main receiver: Vu+ Duo + many others & IRD
TX: Modulators for DVB-S/C/T + Dektec Modulators
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
many thanks Vitor,
I do basic installs mainly for domestic properties, did work with Sky a few years back, and was using a Lacuna Meter for many years and after that a horizon, I was wanting to get a combined meter to use now for DVB-S and DVB-T and if possible cctv , most of my work is with Asrta 2 but I have done some hotbird and KA-Sat. I am looking for something modern but dont want break the bank.
Regards
Pat

I think you should take a look at Prime Digital for a new unit and at the same time keep an eye at second hand field meters.

Prime Digital sells replacement parts on their online store, which is a big plus as you can often repair and mantain the unit yourself, thus avoiding premium repair cost.

Regards,
Vitor