Question for those with French-bought Canal+ Satellite

Malkatraz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky standard freeview
My Location
London
Hi. I have a current French address but Ive just moved to the UK and would like to get a Canal+ satellite subscription (not Canalsat) for Canal sport. However, there are a couple of things troubling me.

Firstly, after speaking to someone in Carrefour (yes they probably don't know much) I am led to believe that getting Canal+ and taking it outside the country would result in me only being able to pick up the free TV channels but not any of the Canal channels. Something about the satellite knowing when its not within a particular range (ie mainland France). I am not really believing this.

Then after visiting the totalsat forums I saw a post last year that states that you must ring Canal every 8 weeks to reset the receiver/card using a French phone number. Is this true and is it still the case mid 2009? Or is this the totalsat guys trying to get me to take a subscription with them so that they handle all of that?

I really want to purchase the system in France because of the much lower cost (than here in the UK) but I am very hesitant on all the specifics of what can and can't be done.

Any help very much appreciated.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
Malkatraz said:
Something about the satellite knowing when its not within a particular range (ie mainland France). I am not really believing this.
neither am I - as long as you can receive the Astra 1 signal you should be safe

Malkatraz said:
Then after visiting the totalsat forums I saw a post last year that states that you must ring Canal every 8 weeks to reset the receiver/card using a French phone number.
that would be in case your card isn't getting any updates, and needs to be re-activated. This is a hardware issue, you will need to use a Canal+ compatible receiver or common interface. The simplest way would be to buy a complete Canal+ set (receiver+card) in France and install that in the UK.

Malkatraz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky standard freeview
My Location
London
JTA said:

that would be in case your card isn't getting any updates, and needs to be re-activated. This is a hardware issue, you will need to use a Canal+ compatible receiver or common interface. The simplest way would be to buy a complete Canal+ set (receiver+card) in France and install that in the UK.

Thanks for the reply. That has eased my mind a tad.

nash35

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m dish - to come
Sat receiver (specific)
Projector
Plasma
My Location
Egypt-Maadi
JTA said:

Just get the decoder in France (you must have an address there), never say to anybody that you leave the country with, and everything will be fine (I am in Egypt... with 2.4m and I have canalplus, canalsat, all hd channels).

Regards,

taupin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
toto
My Location
India
Hi,

I want to buy canalsat card and use it in Morocco (North Africa).

1 How can I do?

For information, I have some friends in France how can buy it for me. I will juste indicat for them where and how?

2 What is the diffrence between canalsat bouquet France and canasalt Maghreb in term of their content?

3 I want to read this card from my Linux PC. Which card reader is compliant with this canalsat bouquet? Where can I buy it also?

Thanks in advance for you reply

I will be very grateful.