Not open for further replies.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Your dreambox appears to be using cramfs, meaning that certain parts of the image are read only.

I've modified the script so that it tries to remount the file system in read/write mode. Download and install this new version.
View attachment 21662

Its unlikely to work, but you can give it a shot.

There is a more long winded way around this problem, but it requires root access, which you obviously don't have. :mad:

Unfortunately your on your own after this, because I dont have DM500 to run tests on, sorry :p

If I think of anything, I'll post back.

Attachments

• password_switcher.tar.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 987

man2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM500 - Laptop Core Due
My Location
Kuwait
compufunk said:
Your dreambox appears to be using cramfs, meaning that certain parts of the image are read only.

I've modified the script so that it tries to remount the file system in read/write mode. Download and install this new version.
View attachment 21662

Its unlikely to work, but you can give it a shot.

There is a more long winded way around this problem, but it requires root access, which you obviously don't have. :mad:

Unfortunately your on your own after this, because I dont have DM500 to run tests on, sorry :p

If I think of anything, I'll post back.

Still not working... Unable to remove and cannot remove...

Why not creating a file which will replace the passwd file to the default one directly?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
man2003 said:
Why not creating a file which will replace the passwd file to the default one directly?
Thats what it does. :confused

If the filesystem is readonly, then you cant modify the passwd file no matter what way you try to do it. You cant delete it, you cant overwrite it, you cant move it, you cant modify it.

Try it yourself if you don't think that's the case.

The only solution will be to make the file system read write, If someone knows of a way to do that with one or two commands then please post them here and I'll stick them in the script.

Otherwise, forget about it, because the only other way of doing it requires root access, which you dont have, otherwise you wouldn't be using this script.

As I said, I don't have a DM500 to test on.

You could also copy the encrypted password then crack it, but I'm not explaining how to do that. You'll need to find out for yourself.

man2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
compufunk said:
Thats what it does. :confused

If the filesystem is readonly, then you cant modify the passwd file no matter what way you try to do it. You cant delete it, you cant overwrite it, you cant move it, you cant modify it.

Try it yourself if you don't think that's the case.

The only solution will be to make the file system read write, If someone knows of a way to do that with one or two commands then please post them here and I'll stick them in the script.

Otherwise, forget about it, because the only other way of doing it requires root access, which you dont have, otherwise you wouldn't be using this script.

As I said, I don't have a DM500 to test on.

You could also copy the encrypted password then crack it, but I'm not explaining how to do that. You'll need to find out for yourself.

Thanks a lot compufunk, Appreciate your effort... I'll try to copy the encrypted password then crack it once I find How...

man2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
I found other way to restore default password...:
- Mount Folder to the Dreambox.
- Unrar attached file and extracted file to the mounted folder.
- Click Blue Button to open Blue Panel
- Click Extras/Settings
- Click Restore Backup
- Find your mounted folder and find the file
- Click Green
- Click Green again
- You are done...

Password is dreambox...

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Nice one, I never thought of the 'restore backup' route. :)

For those who might want to switch back to the original password, it may be worth making a backup of the original passwd file before using this method.

Also, there are a lot of system users missing from the above file compared to those that are included in the DM600 passwd file. So it should probably only be used on a DM500.

man2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
compufunk said:
Nice one, I never thought of the 'restore backup' route. :)

For those who might want to switch back to the original password, it may be worth making a backup of the original passwd file before using this method.

Also, there are a lot of system users missing from the above file compared to those that are included in the DM600 passwd file. So it should probably only be used on a DM500.

Since I do not have Linux System or even do not know how to do the same under Windows OS, then can you please create one for DM600PVR as well...

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
man2003 said:
Since I do not have Linux System or even do not know how to do the same under Windows OS, then can you please create one for DM600PVR as well...
If you've got a DM600 or any other dreambox that's not using cramfs, the password switch script in the 1st post will work, so I don't really see the need.

mrz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
D500
My Location
Thailand
Thank you for solution "rjms"
I tried this information and passwd flie. everthing does work I copy file overwrite to /var/etc (use plugin tuxbox commander)
Thank you over again, rjms

wookiee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I'm Using China made DM500-S
I've a Motorized Dish
Image : 4.4.0 Gemini
My Location
Egypt
Hi everyone ,
I have Dreambox 500-s and i am not able to run the script as it also give me Read-only Msg ,

I think there is a solution to fake a root access ....i hope some of the Linux Experts can help us ,

man2003

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
wookiee said:
Hi everyone ,
I have Dreambox 500-s and i am not able to run the script as it also give me Read-only Msg ,

I think there is a solution to fake a root access ....i hope some of the Linux Experts can help us ,

Check post #25...

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
wookiee said:
Its got nothing to do with root access, the script runs as root. The problem lies with the file system being read only.

For the DM500, do as man2003 suggests and look at post 25.

mrz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
D500
My Location
Thailand
wookiee said:
Hi everyone ,

ref: Post # 17
1.dowload password.rar and extract
2.setting dream in unmount mode and see folder with pc (password) folder.
3.Install tuxbox commander.
4.copy file (password) form pc and chose overwrite to /var/etc (use plugin tuxbox commander)

Try again, Na krab (Thai boy):toke:

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Do you have trouble reading?

Post#25

tayab

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Islamabad
But what if blue button is also locked?

shnsqr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500
Hp Pavilion DV4 1135EE
My Location
Bahrain
did anyone tried the attached file in post #25 by man2003 ?

can it solve the read-only problem ?

nlo81mkd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500
My Location
Macedonia
ok i tryed with password switcher and with Restore Backup, but i get this message: Install Not sucsessfull on dm 500. When i try to donload some plugin from gemini server, i get the same error. I thing it has something to do with file permissions, may the folders be read only or something?

thanks.

best regards.

dadon123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
eagle linux reciever, card share
My Location
uk
i do not have an option in blue button menu to manually install plugins. i only have file mode. i have mounted the folder with the password switcher inside it but the file mode of the dreambox cannot find the plugin.

any other way?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
tayab said:
But what if blue button is also locked?
There is not much you can do about that. You have two options. Flash it with another image or leave it as is.

nlo81mkd said:
ok i tryed with password switcher and with Restore Backup, but i get this message: Install Not sucsessfull on dm 500. When i try to donload some plugin from gemini server, i get the same error. I thing it has something to do with file permissions, may the folders be read only or something?

thanks.

best regards.
It could be related to file permissions as you suggest. But, if you are having trouble installing plugins. You should start another thread about your problem because its a different issue.

Use of the above plugin/script assumes that you can install plugins.

dadon123 said:
i do not have an option in blue button menu to manually install plugins. i only have file mode. i have mounted the folder with the password switcher inside it but the file mode of the dreambox cannot find the plugin.

any other way?
If you mean that you are locked out of the blue panel then there is not much you can do about it.

On the Gemini images, press the blue button then #2 and you should see the option to do a manual install. See attached image.

Attachments

• osdshot.png
    osdshot.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 569

jimint

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500s
My Location
gr
Hallo everybody,
First of all i have to plesure the member compufunk about this useful password swither plugin.
It works for me the second version in post #21 http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dreambox-support-forum/140996-reset-root-password-plugin.html

But there is an issue, the ftp password still not working. When i try to view the file passw inside the plungin there is not the line about ftp password.

Is there any possibility to make again plugin include the reset and ftp password?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.