satellites position

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
uh::
Hello Everyone,

I have just had My Strong 4375 Motorised systems Installed, However not all the Satellites position was set, He only set the position for Eutelsat at 1580, Astra 2A at 1512, can Somebody please tell me the position that I need to input into the receiver for the various other satellites position Including Sky Digital.Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards

Prince

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Albert

I'm not to sure about the 'positions' you have quoted, but a good place to look for all your settings is:

http://www.satcodx.com/eng/

Good luck, do come back if you need any more help.

Regards

W Hole

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The "positions" quoted are actually pulses-counted at the motor, and their values depend on the motor and receiver, as well as to some degree your geographic location. That being so, only someone at your particular location, and with exactly the same equipment, set up in the same way, would be able to tell you what those values should be for you.

The actual satellite locations are represented in degrees east or west. EG Nilesat at 7 degrees west, and Astra1 at 19.2 degrees east. As the only observer- and equipment-independent position values, these are the only kind of values that get published in sat tables.

As well as the satcodx URL already provided, check out the Lyngsat site
http://www.lyngsat.com

By the way, the Sky Digital package is transmitted from Astra2 at 28.2 east, but if it was actually Sky Digital you wanted (as opposed to some FTA stuff also transmitting on that satellite) then you will need a Sky Digibox to decrypt it. The Strong receiver will not do it.

2old

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
Firstly thanks for the reply it was quite appreciated as I didn't know anything about satellites until I joined the forum and I still don't, I went to both link that was posted, and the Lynsat gave the position for the Turksat 1C at 42degree as 1106 and I have input this into the positioner of the antenna of the receiver and it came up with some channel as CNNTURK, however when I went to that channel it said no signal, So am not sure Whether the value was incorrect or this is due to the weather which is pretty bad in London at the moment. Also it list the value for the Sky FTA at 28.2 degrees as 010120, however the person that installed my receiver has set the East limit as 1000 and the West limit as 2313 and I presumed the Sky position is less than 1000,So how do I input the value.

Best Regards

PRINCE

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Prince -

you have misunderstood what I posted.
You are still apparently expecting to find positioner-counts at those sites (1106, etc.) whereas in fact you will not - for the reasons I gave.

The things you are entering (1106, etc from the Lyngsat site) are actually the dates (yymmdd) on which the channel was verified to be at that transponder/setting. 1106 means 6-November!

Re-read what I posted, and you will see that the only info you can use is the "degrees east" or "degrees west" figures. They are what you should define in your receiver/positioner (if they are not already pre-defined) and then you need to actually locate those satellites along the Clarke-belt using whatever procedure is described in your the receiver/positioner manual. Only then will you know the "counts" you are referring to, and they will always be unique to your particular set-up.

So the counts really are irrelevant. They are only a means for your receiver/positioner to keep track of how far left or right your particular dish is swinging... and the number counted between any two points is dependent on the firmware in your particular receiver/positioner and on the mechanical properties/gearing of your particular motor or actuator.

2old

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
Hello 2oldforthis,

Thanks for your reply, actually before I saw your reply I Inputed the value 1106 into the positioner of the receiver and it went totally crazy and in the end got stuck in one position and keep giving the message check your dish actuator,by tthat time it was midnight so I switched it off and this morning when I switch it on it first came with the same message, and then It started moving again but the position doesn't seem right as all the channels are displaying no signal.I would try what you suggested when I get home tonight. On another note I would like to express my gratitude for your help and I was encourage to invest in the motorised systems having been following the discussions on the forums for several month and seeing the support that you are giving to everyone. Thannnks a lot.

Best Regards
PRINCE