Saw my first Raspberry Pi last night..

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
There's always eBay - overpriced but available.

A nonymous

Reaction score
If I'm anything to go by I'll use mine for a few weeks, get bored of it and then I'll sell it or swap it for something :-lmao

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Captain Jack said:
There's always eBay - overpriced but available.

But, why pay more for less? :confused

They're in such high demand at the moment, so, looking on ebay, there's a lot of bidding wars going on, so, nah, I've placed my order with RS kit, which cost less than some of the BINs on ebay for just the boards only, I don't mind waiting... O-Ha

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just seen this info on the DS forum - talking about iplayer

I have gone for a Raspberry Pi running XBMC (RaspBMC implementation) and not only do I get iPlayer I also get ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5 for a total cost of about £45.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Well, I completely jumped the gun with ordering, cos according to the RPi forums, it seems that Farnell are now shipping within a day of ordering, whereas RS are still saying that I'd be lucky if I got it before christmas........ :-ohcrap

If RS don't get their 4RS3s into gear, I'll be buying from Farnell and then cancelling my order with RS, cos I want my slice of the Pi... :-comp

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Ultimo4K, Uno4K SE, Uno4K, Solo4K, Zero4K, Duo2, SoloSE v1 & v2, Solo2, Ultimo, Uno, Duo, Motorised CM 1.2m dish, Hybrid Titanium Smart Lnb with CM feedhorn and a Zone2 minidish with Inverto Unicable II
My Location
53°E - 45°W
2cvbloke said:
Well, I completely jumped the gun with ordering, cos according to the RPi forums, it seems that Farnell are now shipping within a day of ordering, whereas RS are still saying that I'd be lucky if I got it before christmas........ :-ohcrap

If RS don't get their 4RS3s into gear, I'll be buying from Farnell and then cancelling my order with RS, cos I want my slice of the Pi... :-comp

Farnell's website is saying 3 weeks ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cokeaddict said:
Farnell's website is saying 3 weeks ?

Yes, that's their catch-all "Up-to" timeframe (just like how ADSL lines say "up to" 20Mb, but you actually get ~3Mb), but people who are on the RPi forum have reported getting them within a couple of days... :)

_http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13249

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
But, Deux Chevaux, how can you be sure these are not Chinese clones?

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Ultimo4K, Uno4K SE, Uno4K, Solo4K, Zero4K, Duo2, SoloSE v1 & v2, Solo2, Ultimo, Uno, Duo, Motorised CM 1.2m dish, Hybrid Titanium Smart Lnb with CM feedhorn and a Zone2 minidish with Inverto Unicable II
My Location
53°E - 45°W
2cvbloke said:
Yes, that's their catch-all "Up-to" timeframe (just like how ADSL lines say "up to" 20Mb, but you actually get ~3Mb), but people who are on the RPi forum have reported getting them within a couple of days... :)

_http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13249

Doing what it says on that thread, they are now out of stock for atleast 24 days.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I changed my order with RS back to farnell and got mine last week, Looked again a couple of days ago and they still had 296 in stock

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
But, Deux Chevaux, how can you be sure these are not Chinese clones?

Cos the Raspberry Pi foundation has contracts with select manufacturers and distributors, it's all documented on their website... :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cokeaddict said:
Doing what it says on that thread, they are now out of stock for atleast 24 days.

Well, 24 days is a lot less than RS' claims of 18 weeks as they told me when I ordered mine.... :confused

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
53°E - 45°W
2cvbloke said:
Well, 24 days is a lot less than RS' claims of 18 weeks as they told me when I ordered mine.... :confused

Totally agree with that.

I have 1 on order with RS, that is still around 15 weeks away, so I will keep an eye on farnell for when they have stock again, and maybe switch the order.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cokeaddict said:
Totally agree with that.

I have 1 on order with RS, that is still around 15 weeks away, so I will keep an eye on farnell for when they have stock again, and maybe switch the order.

I think if you're desperate to get a Pi, order one form Farnell now, so you're in the queue at least, and cancel your order with RS, seeing as RS are just taking the pee with their waiting times when Farnell have the same thing up for sale and are shipping a lot faster...

I'm certainly considering cancelling my order with RS if they don't hurry up, they say on the RPi forum that RS are waiting for their cases for the Pi, which I've ordered (a clear one, cos I like seeing the innards), and they won't ship until they have the whole order in stock, which makes me wonder if they're shipping out others' orders who just wanted the board itself, so people like myself will wait forever because the order will never be complete.... :confused

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Maybe just ordered the board, thats whuy i cancelled mine with RS and got it from Farnell i had a pre-order for both but Farnell where a damn site quicker

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
53°E - 45°W
2cvbloke said:
I think if you're desperate to get a Pi, order one form Farnell now, so you're in the queue at least, and cancel your order with RS, seeing as RS are just taking the pee with their waiting times when Farnell have the same thing up for sale and are shipping a lot faster...

I'm certainly considering cancelling my order with RS if they don't hurry up, they say on the RPi forum that RS are waiting for their cases for the Pi, which I've ordered (a clear one, cos I like seeing the innards), and they won't ship until they have the whole order in stock, which makes me wonder if they're shipping out others' orders who just wanted the board itself, so people like myself will wait forever because the order will never be complete.... :confused

LOL great minds and all that.

I also ordered it with a clear case, and a 4 port usb hub.

I have litterally just cancelled my order with RS.

I ordered on 16th July and it was 11 weeks at that point.

So cancelling now and ordering with farnell means I should have it atleast 3 weeks earlier.

Going to order a case and usb hub from ebay I think, and get just the board from farnell.

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
53°E - 45°W
Well on 04/08/12 I cancelled my order with RS, and got an instant email to say my order is cancelled and they will refund me within 14 working days (looks like that going to be dragging that to the line, they have had my money since 16/07/12 as it is).

Placed an order with farnell on 04/08/12 with an estimate of delivery in 5 weeks, and they were showing atleast 24 days before they have any stock, well this morning I got an email to say they have despatched my pi today, which also means they have taken payment today.

So anyone thats got a long wait with RS still, seriously cancel your orders is all I can say.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
My Farnell-ordered RaspberyPi arrived today, I cancelled with RS and forced them to refund (Paypal dispute), and once the money was returned, I threw my order into Farnell on the 28th, and 10 days later (as opposed to 18 weeks as RS claimed), it's here!!! :D

Only issue now is, my Philips TV died, and I was going to be using that as the monitor, now I can't, and can't be bothered using more equipment to act as an RF modulator (seeing as the Pace MSS300 is currenly being used as a footrest, literally right now as I type!! O-Ha )... :confused

Still, I'm happy, I have my Pi, now to work out how to work it... :confused

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
2cvbloke said:
Still, I'm happy, I have my Pi, now to work out how to work it... :confused

Shall I send a small boy around to show you? :-righton

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Tivù said:
Shall I send a small boy around to show you? :-righton

Would that be little Jack Horner?.....I hear he's good with Pi's........I know it's warm but I feel an urge to collect a coat.....