Advice Needed Single cable carrying two inputs with splitter: works with sky+ but only half freesat channels on new freesat 4k pvr

Keith_MK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky dish servicing block of flats with single cable access with Johansson 4502 splitter with Sky+ box. Now want to use Freesat 4K pvr with dual input.
My Location
Milton Keynes
I'm in a block of flats with only single cable installation with a communal Sky dish. A system was installed to send multiple channels down the single cable with a Johansson 4502 2-way splitter in the flat to the Sky+ pvr. Works fine.

I want to ditch Sky and move to a new Freesat 4k pvr with dual input. The problem is that when using the same splitter, only half the channels are visible (show blank screen).

Diagnostic info: when I just plug the cable straight into the the TV (which has its own Freesat decoder but just one input) I get all channels. Whereas, with the Freesat pvr: when I leave the splitter out and just plug the cable into input 1, I get one half of the channels; and when I plug it into input 2, I get the other half of the channels. Do I just need a different splitter?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
On your Sky+ box if you press services on the remote, then highlight the settings box (but don't enter settings), then press 0 0 1 select, what is LNB Type set to?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
As long as you haven't got a SkyQ box just cancel the subscription.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your Sky Plus HD box will probably be working in SCR mode (see ozumo's post above) from an SCR feed (Single Cable router) (Single Channel router), but as far as I know, The Freesat PVRs do not have this capability, or don't advertise that they do, so the Feed will revert to legacy universal which cannot be split as it has four bands and constant conflicts occur between the two tuners. Try checking in the Freesat menu to see if there is an SCR setting.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
The Freesat Recordable 4k manual mentions MDU & MDU2 as an LNB option on page 29, sounds possibly like SCR:
MDU/MDU 2
If you live in a block of flats with a communal satellite dish, you will need to ask your managing agency or landlord to confirm your setup.
Code:
https://www.freesat.co.uk/manuals/

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
MDU just means Multiple Dwelling Unit. The Manhattan Freesat box will give an SCR option if it finds no legacy signal on the LNB feed.

Keith_MK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky dish servicing block of flats with single cable access with Johansson 4502 splitter with Sky+ box. Now want to use Freesat 4K pvr with dual input.
My Location
Milton Keynes
On your Sky+ box if you press services on the remote, then highlight the settings box (but don't enter settings), then press 0 0 1 select, what is LNB Type set to?
Thanks for responding: LNB Type: SCR BAND

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
On the freesat 4k if you go settings > system information > signal strength what does it say next to 'type' and is there any way to manually change it?

One thing to try would be connect the single cable to one input only, and then go to settings > system settings > box reset > full factory reset - see if it gives you any SCR options. Other than that it may be time to email or call Freesat, make sure to tell them you have an SCR system, but I fear as rolfw said it's not going to be compatible.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks for responding: LNB Type: SCR BAND
If you are using a single feed with splitter, then you had to be using SCR, it's the only way it would work.

The new Freesat boxes will work with two universal feeds, or two feeds from a wideband LNB, the box will determine what you have by the sound of it. Unhappily, nowhere in the 4K manual do they mention SCR compatibility. Which Freesat unit do you have?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
If the box is only compatible with wideband or legacy LNBs, and auto detects which type, I wonder what would make the box detect & display MDU or MDU 2 in the settings :confused

Keith_MK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milton Keynes
If you are using a single feed with splitter, then you had to be using SCR, it's the only way it would work.

The new Freesat boxes will work with two universal feeds, or two feeds from a wideband LNB, the box will determine what you have by the sound of it. Unhappily, nowhere in the 4K manual do they mention SCR compatibility. Which Freesat unit do you have?
The suggestion that I just plug the cable into the Freesat box and did a factory reset has worked! Thanks for that.
The other info is:
- Model: the latest 4K UHD-4X-2000
- with the splitter in, the box thought it had 2 "Standard LNB (2 cables)". This could not be changed.
- I did call Freesat, but they just went all "slopey shouldered" once I mentioned a splitter. "We don't recommend using a splitter" was the quote. However, what they failed to say to me was your recommendation of use one input and reset.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Right, so it sounds like it's the same software as the Manhattan box, in that if it doesn't detect a second feed, it'll look for an SCR. Good news for Freesat 4K box owners.:)

Well done ozumo.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Pleased it's all working now :Y