SKY + HD BOX

wombat8858

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY + HD
My Location
Craigavon
Just a query, have a third Sky box that I intended to use as freesat in the spare bedroom.
I currently gave as a subscription to SKY multi room and Movies etc etc.
SKY want a further £10.00 a month to activate the recording features etc, I cant get my head around the fact that the Box is mine and presumably therefore the HD contained within is mine, I don't want access to any SKY channels on this third box just the Freesat ones, why should I pay SKY to access my hard drive in my box and record NON SKY tv channels. Any advice pointers would be well appreciated .

A

Archive-8

When I cancelled my sky contract the box was mine, so I took the hard drive out of it, and installed it into an enigma2 sat box for the free sat stuff on 28.2°E.

This option worked out great for me, it may not be the best option for you.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It does seem a bit silly, but it's the way it is and always has been, in your case it would be the same cost as adding it as a multiroom box.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
You may own the hardware but you do not own the software in the box which is incomplete for Sky+ features without an active viewing card. So your subscription is your license to use that software - a model also used by Tivo and Microsoft amongst others.

This is partly due to the way Sky+ boxes were imported into the EU as receivers at a lower duty rate than PVRs. Sky successfully argued in court against HMRC taht as an active subscription is required for PVR use thay are only receivers. Other manufacturers (including Humax) avoided this duty by importing without HDDs fitted and either fitting them in the EU OR selling themas PVR ready for user to fit own HDD.

Allowing subscription free Sky+ facilities would now cost Sky many millions of £s in back duty for the previously supplied boxes (probabaly well over 20 million boxes now). So it almost certainly will never happen.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Interesting info there, Dave.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Is BSkyB paying HMRC on a box by box basis each time they are 'converted' back to a PVR when the software is activated ?

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
you can always just buy a freesat recorder..