Storing satellite positions

empusa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPBox 900HD, 80cm dish on rotator
+ Fortec Star Beta on a fixed dish
My Location
Fairford, Glos
Just bought an IPBox 900HD a few days ago. My previous box was a cheap Fortec unit.

Have had great fun working out how to update the image and getting it to link to my home network, but all done now :)

I have one issue with the box...
Most of the key satellites are locking on nicely with USALS and giving very good signals. However, some satellites on the extreme east or west are not so good. My guess is that my dish and motor may not be perfectly vertical. However, the Fortec was able to get good signals from these satellites.
I can improve the reception using DiSEqC 1.2 and adjusting the position of the dish slightly. However, when I store the position, the box doesn't seem to remember the new position and reverts to the original position when I press Goto or return to the satellite.

Is this a bug? Has anyone else come across this problem?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm using a combination of DiSEqC 1.2 and USALS and it seems to work OK, did forget one of the settings once, but was OK afterwards. You may need to convert them all to DiSEqC 1.2.

Which image are you using?

empusa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fairford, Glos
I'm currently using the latest AB image r8873. I'm thinking about switching to one of the third party images though as I want to switch off telnet and FTP and use SSH and SFTP instead... Just in case somebody manages to hack my router's firewall or wireless connection.

Pete

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, I was thinking of updating the images, as the one I have is a bit quirky, was it quite straightforward?

Why do you fear your box being hacked, surely it is not more at risk than your PC if you are behind a router?

empusa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fairford, Glos
I just don't like telnet, it's very insecure especially as it allows you to log in as root. Both telnet and FTP pass usernames and passwords over the network unencrypted.

I believe Cuberevo boxes can be updated via the network. AB boxes have to be done via USB at the moment.

To update an image via USB, unzip the downloaded file and put the .img file on a USB memory stick. Plug the memory stick into the box then switch the box off. Switch the box back on then press and hold the remote's off button as it boots up. The box should then check the image, erase the old one and flash the new one. It takes about ten minutes.

The down side is, flashing a new image will erase all of your settings and channels. I couldn't even use PCEditor to restore the channels as the database was different. Installing an old database into the new image causes the box to panic.

Pete

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks Pete, no I think I need to use USB on the CubeRevo as well, may wait for a stable version of Enigma 2 before I attempt it, the process for that image appeared a lot more complex than for the standard image which I'll have a go at in the next few days.

Not too worried about the settings, doesn't take too long to scan in the sats again and finding them with DiSEqC 1.2 is made easier with the spectrum analyser attached.:)