The Gigablue Quad Plus Linux receiver thread

Have you got one? Happy with it?

• Total voters

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I have just bought a Gigablue Quad - there seems to be no dedicated section or thread here, so let's find out who has got one, and what software they use. Any tips anf tricks - let's have them :)

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I am using GB Quad Plus for several months. Installed OpenMips image. (before it used GB Quad for almost 2 years).
Have no complains about box performance.
Only one bug I do not like- impossible to measure video-bitrate, I've heard it is driver's problem.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I also have one Running OpenATV 4.3 beta at the moment and its as solid as a rock, Mine is equipped with 3 x DVB-S2 tuners and 1 x DVB-C/T tuner.

No problems here i also find that the Tuner's are very sensitive indeed, Tuner C on mine is connected to the Gibby 1.25m through an Inverto Black Ultra and comparing on occasion with the 5402Hd M3 on fringe channels the Gigablue beats it, Not all the time but enough to keep a feed active in there.

I also run the Transcoding plugin to my Samsung Note4 using the Gigablue Player App so i can stream any channel or even set recordings from anywhere in the world should i need too :)

Signal Measurement wise i have found that the tuners give a near accurate representation of the incoming AGC and SNr when compared to a meter.

Image preference is really up to the user i have tried every image available for mine and have always gone back to the OpenATV image

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Interesting. I keep thinking about upgrading my Uno to Solo2 or similar as it's almost 4 years old now. Nothing wrong with it but probably a bit outdated.

When I briefly used the Solo2 with the Black Hole image, the SNR reading was all over the place - like it would show 59% on TPs that didn't have any signal at all. Not something I've ever experienced with the Uno and I am assuming it's a feature of the Gigablue?

Also, I don't like the looks of it - not very attractive and I don't see the point of having a monitor on the front panel....?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
@T_G, OpenViX do a great image for this receiver. Good range of skins, and lot of plugins and extras... And a very good support forum, with very quick response and bug fixes, with help from native English speakers.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?306-GiGaBlue-Discussion

@CJ, I've got an Uno, Duo, Ultimo and Solo2. Solo2 tuner has blind scan and much better results than Uno/Ultimo tuners. I use the Solo2 mainly for software testing and the reboot time is amazing. GUI reboot is about 20 seconds. Twin DVB-S tuners, 2.5" internal HDD, and I use an AverMedia Twinstar USB DVB-T USB twin tuner for terrestrial. In my opinion this is a receiver to love.

Last edited:

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Never had a Problem with mine showing inflated readings although i doubt there is a receiver out there that can give an accurate reading compared to a Pro meter not even the fabled F15.

On mine if the signal is not there it's not there you get a Zero reading simple as that, as for the Mini Display yes you can have it as a monitor personally i just have mine showing the Time/Channel etc.. it can be programmed to show pretty much what you want or turned off altogether

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes, I am not talking about the accuracy - that's always a relative. Just talking about what you would get with no signal ... so if it displays 0, then that's fine :)

Haven't really done any blind scanning in forever, as I don't hunt feeds, so probably wouldn't be a big loss for me (and I have that on the F15, anyway).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
OK, receiver arrived, so far so good. Have the Open Vix on it, let's see what happens. Can someone tell me where the keys go for CCam or mgcamd? Even beter would be a screenshot so I can see what files are in there.

That'll be great!

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I personally dont use the Vix image but if its still as it was many moons ago then softcam.keys go in /usr/keys folder

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, I played with it last night and thought that where it goes, but I am still trying to find out, other than the softcam key, what other files are required. I've been out of that subject for so long I can't remember duck all :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Well, you'd need a softcam to actually make use of these files - something like mgcamd, cccam or oscam.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Oscam or even Doscam opens the most channels without going to the dark side C/S

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I hate that. Been trying out cams and files and duck knows what, but it is fishing in the dark. Can someone point me to a good place where I can download stuff that works? I'd be very grateful :-saw

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
What image are you using on the box, I use OpenATV 4.3 with Oscam_Emu straight from the feeds with an edited softcam.key file to open what i want to watch, literally took around 5 mins to set everything up

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I am using a vix image. I got it all to work, the problem was finding the right files.
What do you mean by "straight from the feeds"?

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I meant the softcam emulator sucha as oscam,CCcam,Mgcamd etc.. generally the softcam.key file you will have to get your self and edit to personal taste as a lot of SID clashes with other channels etc..

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What's the remote control like? After having used the Dreambox remote for many years, I found the Vu+ one very difficult to get used to. In fact, I still hate it. It's too long and too thin, which means that I can't reach the bottom most and the top most buttons without sliding the entire remote up and down in my hand.

... and I have long fingers!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yeah the remote is much longer than the qbox, not sure why they need such a long one. For the Giga, I think it is a multi-purpose remote (it has TV, DVD control and other stuff) so they bought whatever was cheap and available. I also think that it won't last long, the bulb at the front is not going to survive for long in my household, someone's gonna drop it :D

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I dont use any remote apart from the Harmony One it has a far better IR than most of the standard remotes used, infact these days i can control everything via the Note4, My AV Amp, Sat Box's, TV, Openelec Kodi on the Nuc.

If its networkable then you can more than likely control it with the smart phone no need for a clear line of sight :-)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
True, though I don't think I'd want to control my equipment with a touchscreen phone. I need to feel the buttons :)